KillBox - beta testers, suggestions wanted

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
atomizer

KillBox [no longer freeware, discontinued]

#46 Post by atomizer »

Moderator note: author took this program commercial, then took down all mentions of the program.

---

hi again!
i submitted KillBox, a little app i scripted...
KillBox is a tiny application that will Logoff, Suspend, Shutdown, Hibernate or Reboot your computer based on the triggers you choose. Features include:

* portable! no installation necessary
* Perform selected action (Logoff, Suspend, etc.) according to time delay
* Perform action at a specific time
* Perform action when a selected process terminates
* Perform action when a process you define starts
* Perform action when network download rate falls below threshold for set time
* Combine multiple triggers in which case the first condition that is met will trigger selected action

i saw another app with the same name that was discussed in the forums. this isn't that :)

TPFC submission page link

guinness

Re: KillBox

#47 Post by guinness »

Tested: Portable

rokth

Re: KillBox - beta testers, suggestions wanted

#48 Post by rokth »

Commandline switches!

webfork

#49 Post by webfork »

So evidently this software as well as AutoClipX went nagware + crippleware? What the hell?

atomizer

#50 Post by atomizer »

yes it did, and this is not what i wanted to do - i wanted to accept donations only, but when nobody donated after a a couple thousand downloads i felt i was left with little choice. yes, i have to eat too :)

webfork

#51 Post by webfork »

atomizer wrote:yes it did, and this is not what i wanted to do - i wanted to accept donations only, but when nobody donated after a a couple thousand downloads i felt i was left with little choice. yes, i have to eat too :)
I appreciate that and I have no problem with people making money from software. However, do you see how getting assistance with your program from a freeware site that you took in a commercial direction might be seen as disingenuous? That the people who did testing, made UI and code suggestions, as well as other help also provided something valuable?

atomizer

#52 Post by atomizer »

sure, i see your point and i wouldn't argue it
however, as i said, it was never my intention to go the direction i did

if anyone, including yourself, who has given me any assistance here would like a free license key for any of my stuff, i'd be more than happy to provide one. just send me a PM

guinness

#53 Post by guinness »

I think Jon from AutoIt sums up what I think.
I make pains to credit all the people involved in AutoIt in the helpfile - even down to the functions of AutoIt they have worked on - and would expect anyone using our code to do the same. Not for any "license" reasons, but just out of common courtesy.
It would've been courteous if you had posted somewhere on the Forum of your plans to move to pay-ware instead of being sly about it, we would've understood your reasons why and removed the DB entries, but this didn't happen.

Edit: Spelling Mistakes!
Last edited by guinness on Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

atomizer

#54 Post by atomizer »

guinness wrote:I think Jon from AutoIT sums up what I think.
I make pains to credit all the people involved in AutoIt in the helpfile - even down to the functions of AutoIt they have worked on - and would expect anyone using our code to do the same. Not for any "license" reasons, but just out of common courtesy.
If would've been courtesy if you had posted somewhere on the Forum of your plans to move to pay-ware instead of being sly about it, we would've understood your reasons why and removed the DB entries, but this didn't happen.
http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... are#p31904
i'm hoping to attract at least a few donations from my software and, as of this moment, that isn't happening, even after over 3000+ downloads ... so ... i'm moving to the next level where i will be packaging everything in an installer (Inno) and including some clickbank desktop shortcuts and, likely, a conduit toolbar. this will be done as optin or optout - the user will have a choice as to whether they want to install any/all/none of the extras [...]

if that fails to produce any results, then i may go the shareware route. i will not install anything from a 3rd party without the users knowledge.
as far as giving credit, i have helped quite a number of developers over the years and i could care less if they credit me. actually, i prefer they do not since seeing my name, which is utterly meaningless to anyone but myself, does nothing for me. there are more important things with which to concern myself in this day and age. this does not mean i do not appreciate input.

joby_toss

#55 Post by joby_toss »

Quick question: when you went shareware route, was there any reason you didn't announce us here? So your softwares were still in the database for a period of time! Although they weren't free to use!
I am one that voted for them to be included in the database and then down-voted to remove them when I finally realized they weren't free anymore!

Let's be clear about this: I have absolutely no problem with people making money from their work (I also don't work for free)! But do it as it is supposed to be done!

atomizer

#56 Post by atomizer »

joby_toss wrote:Quick question: when you went shareware route, was there any reason you didn't announce us here? So your softwares were still in the database for a period of time! Although they weren't free to use! [...]
i don't have a good reason, other than forgetfulness, and so i apologize for not announcing the changes - i should have done so
you're incorrect in stating that my programs are not free to use however - all my programs are free to use for an unlimited time, though some are no longer portable

webfork

#57 Post by webfork »

atomizer wrote:if anyone, including yourself, who has given me any assistance here would like a free license key for any of my stuff, i'd be more than happy to provide one. just send me a PM
Sounds good to me.

Edit2:
atomizer wrote:you're incorrect in stating that my programs are not free to use however - all my programs are free to use for an unlimited time, though some are no longer portable
I've heard a lot of hair-splitting over time about what exactly free means and now I understand why. Its more free than Microsoft Word and less free than VLC. Lets put it this way: by the standards of our site, your programs aren't "freeware".
Last edited by webfork on Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: (edited to say "OUR site", not "YOUR site" d'oh)

atomizer

#58 Post by atomizer »

obviously you're correct - most of the stuff is shareware. just doesn't have any time limit, so it's free to use, with limitations (usually won't save settings across sessions)

ChemZ

#59 Post by ChemZ »

obviously you're correct - most of the stuff is shareware. just doesn't have any time limit, so it's free to use, with limitations (usually won't save settings across sessions)
Shareware...? Limitations...? Most...? Here...?!?!?

Doesn't seem so from my experience but hey... I could be wrong... :roll: