Free Hide Folder... AGAIN?!!

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.

Free Hide Folder: should it be on TPFC database?

Yes ;)
50%
No!
50%
Me is silly and me is really dunno :P
No votes

Total votes: 2

Simon.T

Free Hide Folder... AGAIN?!!

#1 Post by Simon.T »

@ AlephX and all the other TPFC users...

Do you remember Free Hide Folder?
Well :? I'm using it, and I think that there are some TPFC users who are looking for an app like this one for the function that it does
even if its target is to deal with the system itself...

I'm using portable apps to:
1. keep my system clean
2. to be portable when I need to (usb stick)
3. I installed on my laptop IrfanView, VideoLAN and even Firefox* because I can get a full control on my settings e.g. BackUp, Reset, Testing... you name it! and if I did s.th. wrong! it's easy to fix :!:
4. maybe I have more other purpose which I can't think of at the moment :?: :roll:

------------------------------------
* the major reason is the profile management switch

freakazoid

#2 Post by freakazoid »

pity it isn't totally portable... otherwise i'd use it!

Simon.T

#3 Post by Simon.T »

• Network Stumbler
    Writes settings to: Windows registry. But given the nature of the application, I think it can be accepted as portable.

SmartSniff
    Writes settings to: Since release 1.35: application folder. Previous releases: Windows registry, but given the nature of the application, I think it can be accepted as portable.

Mail PassView
    Writes settings to: Windows registry. But given the nature of the application, I think it can be accepted as portable.

PicoZip Recovery Tool

GSpot
    Writes settings to: Windows registry. I am accepting it as portable on the assumption that it will only be used occasionally to troubleshoot codec problems, so portable settings is that important.

PocketDivXEncoder
    Writes settings to: None. Note that registry entries are created/updated for various application settings, but the program always start with the default settings for some reason. So if you are concerned with "stealth" i.e. not leaving any trace on the host machine, this program may not be for you.

Riva FLV Encoder
    Writes settings to: Windows registry. But it only writes the language setting. Other settings are not saved.

WinDV

mp4UI
I'm not so sure what does Andrew mean by nature (maybe the purpose of the app)
AlephX wrote:I tested it with regshot. It does not write "settings" into the registry, but it leaves traces of the crypted foder name, and of the password ("pippo") which is used:

Code: Select all

----------------------------------
Values added:5
----------------------------------
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\New\@255: "MCC"
HKU\S-1-5-21-407404009-2007238923-643028249-1007\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Namespace\BAR: "krkkl"
HKU\S-1-5-21-407404009-2007238923-643028249-1007\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Namespace\Javax0: "X:*gvnk*KzlolXW*hvgviiz"
HKU\S-1-5-21-407404009-2007238923-643028249-1007\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Namespace\getPrefix0: "W"
HKU\S-1-5-21-407404009-2007238923-643028249-1007\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Namespace\Declaration0: "X:*gvnk*KzlolXW*hvgviiz"
AlephX wrote:I think that it can be accepted as portable app only if intended to be used only on fixed HD (like a parasite!), but can´t work on portable devices (I guess).
We need to add this note!
AlephX wrote:The second value is the password, I guess.
I think that it is easily "brekable"... and the presence of the hidden folder is visible in the registry.
You're right!! I placed a shortcut of my Launchy v1.25 in Start > Programs > StartUp and even when the folders are hidden Launchy can still detect the files in'em (Launchy is located in a hidden folder as well)

AlephX

#4 Post by AlephX »

Hi, Simon! :D

Yes, now I remember. The fact is that it is difficult to consider this application as used on non-regular basis... I realized that when already writing the record in TPFC database. :(

I like the application.

Indeed it can be a very interesting program to use on a single PC (running it from the private USB pen!) like you do 8)

It is not portable: if I want to hide a folder on my USB stick, I can not use it everywhere... unless I use JauntPE (Maybe).

Another issue: it requires a registration code and propts the user for it... someone can really get angry because that.

So, despite my opinion, I would guess that it cannot be considered as portable (even if I would use it anyway!)

Aleph

Simon.T

#5 Post by Simon.T »

aaarrrggg... very sad! :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil:

and about the "another issue"
Another issue: it requires a registration code and propts the user for it... someone can really get angry because that.
trust me, it is not annoying, cause when you need it... you'll need it bad!!
this app saved me bum bum last week!
Oh! that was soooooo close :shock:

anyway, I'm very glad to see you here Aleph ;)

FlightGeek

#6 Post by FlightGeek »

This application is not portable. The changes it makes in the registry are fundamental to its operation.

While it can hide files from Windows Explorer and applications which repackage it, the files are not hidden from software which roots through the file system on its own. It's a classic example of "security through obscurity".