imgv

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
I am Baas

imgv

#1 Post by I am Baas »

IMGV is a cross-platform Image Viewer. Features include slideshows, exif viewing, histograms, gamma correction, adjustable thumbnails, playlists, website image extraction, multi-dir loading, movies, and much more.
http://imgv.sourceforge.net/

Dl imgv v3.1.5 installer @ http://sourceforge.net/projects/imgv/ and uniextract.

Settings: data folder within application folder

Midas

Re: Imgv

#2 Post by Midas »

Interesting entry, Imgv's ability to read files directly from the Internet is definitely a plus -- unfortunately it has a few quirks that render it less than ideal; e.g., zooming and rotating seem to be mutually exclusive, and it also resizes the program window whenever certain operations are invoked (settings or 'Preferences', for example, which you find by following the 'Edit' menu option).

And at almost 5 and a half megabytes uncompressed, Imgv is hardpressed to compete with the likes of Mycview, which seem to supplant it at mere 50 kilobytes (http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=2251), or Imagine at 1 MB, for the extensive feature set and 64 bit builds (http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1819).

I am Baas

#3 Post by I am Baas »

Midas wrote:unfortunately it has a few quirks that render it less than ideal; e.g., zooming and rotating seem to be mutually exclusive, and it also resizes the program window whenever certain operations are invoked (settings or 'Preferences', for example, which you find by following the 'Edit' menu option).
What's exactly the issue with zooming and rotating? Also, when you close the preference "window" (brown/red X in the right top corner) it will revert to previous size and position.

Midas

#4 Post by Midas »

I am Baas wrote:What's exactly the issue with zooming and rotating?
When I rotate some picture, Imgv looses the 'zoom to fit'; when I re-zoom, Imgv looses the rotation... :(
I am Baas wrote:Also, when you close the preference "window" (brown/red X in the right top corner) it will revert to previous size and position.
Yep, I noticed that, but I still find it inconvenient... like I said, I have better options. :|

I am Baas

#5 Post by I am Baas »

Midas wrote:
I am Baas wrote:What's exactly the issue with zooming and rotating?
  • When I rotate some picture, Imgv looses the 'zoom to fit'; when I re-zoom, Imgv looses the rotation... :(
I just retested imgv but did not have this issue with zooming and rotating.
Midas wrote:
I am Baas wrote:Also, when you close the preference "window" (brown/red X in the right top corner) it will revert to previous size and position.
  • Yep, I noticed that, but I still find it inconvenient...
Isn't it similar to when you click on a settings/preferences button in any other program and a new windows opens up on top of another window?
Midas wrote:I have better options
Good

Midas

#6 Post by Midas »

I am Baas wrote:I just retested imgv but did not have this issue with zooming and rotating.
FYI, Windows XP Pro SP3 here, images (smartphone snapshots) have EXIF metadata...

webfork

Re: imgv

#7 Post by webfork »

Tested this out today a bit (v3.1.5) ... an interesting viewer with a very unusual interface. It makes me think of a lot of DOS programs I used to use. Though I struggled to sift through some of the menus but I found it could do some cool things

* Basic transforms (flip, rotate)
* Show thumbnails / four at a time / slideshow. Shuffle settings. These were all things that should be in every image viewer.
* Various view settings including Fit to Window, Actual Size, etc.
* Really liked the Exif data right up at the top

The help menu is a little light on info, it's just keyboard shortcuts

Other oddities

* The Preferences menu is under Edit, right next to set as wallpaper and open in external viewer. Weird place to put that.
* It offered a web image grabber, but I didn't test that out.

Still my viewer of choice is JPEGView