Issue with Office and portable copy managers

Ask other users about problems encountered with portable apps or help by posting solutions to existing problems.
webfork

Issue with Office and portable copy managers

#1 Post by webfork »

It's unlikely anyone else has seen this but I can't find anything on the web about it so I thought I'd start here:

Setup: Office 2010 (32-bit) on Win7 (64-bit) while running advanced copy managers Ditto http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1361 or Save.me http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2348

Steps:
1. General copy-paste operations while using Word, Outlook and Excel (I don't use other Office apps).

Defect: Occasionally causes the program to fail. Specifically, the program will stop responding, the words "Not Responding" will sometimes appear in the toolbar, and then about a minute or two later, the program will actually shut down and restart. I've had this happen in Word, Outlook, and Excel.

I may have had some crashy issues in LibreOffice as well, but I can't say for sure. Might have been just an unstable version of the program and I wasn't using it frequently.

History: Months ago I ran into this and it took me weeks to make the connection that Ditto might be causing the problem. I almost quit using MS Office entirely since it didn't happen in other programs until I finally disabled Ditto and figured out that was the culprit. The issue was so specific, I felt stupid logging a bug report about it, but, seeing a very similar behavior while running both ArsClip and Save.me, I'm thinking this may have something to do with a 32-bit Office program on 64-bit Windows or just some odd Clipboard error.

Workaround: Run ClipCube http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1882 (so far no issue with this program, but has a fraction of the features of Save.Me and Ditto)
Last edited by webfork on Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (added note about arsclip)

Midas

Re: Issue with Office and portable copy managers

#2 Post by Midas »

Nice of you to share. :)

MS Office is so pervasive that any issue that affects it is bound to be almost universal. Myself, I froze on the 2000 iteration, since it does everything I need, is now rather lightweight, and can be made to understand later versions documents (especially docx ad xlsx) with the Office 2007 Compatibility Pack. No x64 code, though...

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote:MS Office is so pervasive that any issue that affects it is bound to be almost universal.
Agreed - I was surprised I couldn't find anything on this elsewhere.
Midas wrote:Myself, I froze on the 2000 iteration, since it does everything I need
I haven't used any of the new features of Word since 2000 apart from maybe their new navigation/table of contents item (maybe that's not new, I just never used it before). Meanwhile many of the "updates" they've added over time such as the new search and research tools are not what I would call improvements. It made it very easy to switch most of my operations over to LibreOffice. Excel and PowerPoint meanwhile have introduced some nice changes with regard to data visualization that would be difficult to go backwards on.

Midas

#4 Post by Midas »

webfork wrote:Excel and PowerPoint meanwhile have introduced some nice changes with regard to data visualization that would be difficult to go backwards on.
I'll be keeping that in mind. :)