FreeVimager

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
__philippe

Re: FreeVimager

#16 Post by __philippe »

Free Vimager 4.9.0 - metadata support

Please note that besides the EXIF metadata viewing/editing capability already mentionned in the main entry,
the following additional metadata attributes can also be conveniently displayed / edited :
  • Other (user own data)
    EXIF
    IPTC (legacy)
    XMP
    ICC profile
Here is an illustrative FreeVimager "metadata" screenshot :

(BTW, is there a way to add a second picture (such as this one) to the PFC main entry current screenshot ?)

__philippe

SYSTEM

#17 Post by SYSTEM »

__philippe wrote:(BTW, is there a way to add a second picture (such as this one) to the PFC main entry current screenshot ?)
No, but sometimes animated GIFs are used for that purpose.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

smaragdus

#18 Post by smaragdus »

FreeVimager full change log- http://www.contaware.com/downloads/Hist ... imager.txt.

I appreciate that the developer has removed all audio and video support since nowadays it is redundant. Slimming down (FreeVimager) is always good, but dumbing down (Firefox) is always bad.

Midas

#19 Post by Midas »

smaragdus wrote:Slimming down (FreeVimager) is always good, but dumbing down (Firefox) is always bad.
I can vouch for that... 8)

From the changelog (v5.0.0):
- Silently open all supported image types with wrong file extension and when changes are saved the file content is converted to match the file extension...
Imagine (http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1819) also does something like that, but in reverse: a mismatched file extension is changed to match after prompting the user.

smaragdus

Re: FreeVimager - license

#20 Post by smaragdus »

Since version 9.0.5 FreeVimager is definitely not freeware but I cannot decipher its license:
This program is Donationware, it is requested to donate $10 USD per
installation to cover the costs of software development.
Start Screen:

License and Donation:

I have not fulfilled the request to donate $10 USD so I suppose I am not allowed to use the program. For me version 7.7.0 (from 2018-02-18) is the last free version of FreeVimager and it works just fine. I do not plan to donate so I will keep to version 7.5.0 (from 2017-10-18) which is good enough for me.

SYSTEM

#21 Post by SYSTEM »

smaragdus wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:25 am Since version 9.0.5 FreeVimager is definitely not freeware but I cannot decipher its license:
This program is Donationware, it is requested to donate $10 USD per
installation to cover the costs of software development.
Donationware means that you're allowed to use the program without donating, you're just requested to donate.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

webfork

#22 Post by webfork »

SYSTEM wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:20 am Donationware means that you're allowed to use the program without donating, you're just requested to donate.
I'd probably call programs that don't work unless you donate some amount of money "Commercial, pay what you like".

Midas

#23 Post by Midas »

IMHO, freeware means free to use, no strings attached... any departure from that and you're in another country. :mrgreen: