PeerBlock - block anti-file sharing, ads, spyware, etc.

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
guinness

Re: PeerBlock

#16 Post by guinness »

I was always tracking the Stable (Sept 2009) Version, but if the Beta is Stable enough then maybe its best to state in the Description/Notes that a Beta Version is available and stick to tracking the Stable Version. Though I have read that users have found the Beta Versions to be less buggy!

joby_toss

#17 Post by joby_toss »

I use the beta and never had a problem with it. But if the authors say it is in beta stage, so should we.

webfork

#18 Post by webfork »

Entry updated with beta / stable notice.

dot

#19 Post by dot »

The newest PeerBlock Beta 1.1+ (r677) was released the other day (on 27 Nov 2013).

http://www.peerblock.com/releases/inter ... 1.1.0-r677

So far there's only the version with the installer. The link to the portable .zip versions on that page still only has the old version.

Userfriendly

#20 Post by Userfriendly »

webfork

#21 Post by webfork »

On the recent peer block update:
due to the increasingly heavy traffic they have been sustaining for us, they will be forced to start limiting list downloads for all users, effective Tuesday September 24th. After this date, free users will only be able to download updated lists once per week
http://www.peerblock.com/news/139.html

I think the once-a-week but for folks who donate here is fine, but I wonder if there's any other option here? I realize not everyone can connect to BitTorrent, but surely they can use that to save on 1/2 of their hosting costs? Isn't this the tool that's supposed to enable people to better enable distributed networks? Why aren't they including a distributed download option?

Weird.

freakazoid

#22 Post by freakazoid »

I donated to iBlockList. It's a very useful service and it's a pretty cheap subscription, so this was a no-brainer.

iBlockList probably doesn't have the resources like other similar subscription services like Adblock Plus does, which probably has multiple times more traffic than they do.
is it stealth? ;)

giulia

#23 Post by giulia »

hi

i guess it's not Stealth

seems it creates

Code: Select all

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_IPFILTERDRIVER
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\IpFilterDriver\Enum
at lest the stable version https://peerblock.googlecode.com/files/ ... sta%29.zip

can someone confirm?

thanks

giulia

#24 Post by giulia »

hi
seeing there is a portable stealth release
Alternatively, Peerblock Portable is stealth and automatically selects the proper Peerblock variant for the current PC.
and seeing i used the non stealth portable version

should i delete the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_IPFILTERDRIVER with their subkeys ?
and should i delte the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\IpFilterDriver or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\IpFilterDriver\Enum

giulia

Re: PeerBlock - block anti-file sharing, ads, spyware, etc.

#25 Post by giulia »

hi
peerblock released by http://portableapps.com/apps/security/p ... k-portable is not stealth

it left HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_IPFILTERDRIVER
on w10 and w8.1 clean install

Midas

#26 Post by Midas »

Have you tried deleting that registry key, to see if the program still runs or the key gets re-created?

giulia

#27 Post by giulia »

Midas wrote:Have you tried deleting that registry key, to see if the program still runs or the key gets re-created?
yes
i did it
and i tested on a fresh install of windows 8.1 and w10

JohnTHaller

#28 Post by JohnTHaller »

The portable launcher we use for portable apps that use drivers like PeerBlock, WinCDEmu, etc has code to take ownership of the registry keys in question and then delete them if they did not exist before you used the app. Unfortunately, on some systems, the SYSTEM role, which has ownership of the keys by default when the driver creates them, somehow prevents the admin context the app is being run under from taking ownership of the keys and then deleting them. When this occurs, they're actually impossible to delete via Regedit running under Admin as well. At least without a reboot.

Peerblock Portable's page on PortableApps.com lacked the note about this that WinCDEmu and others have. It's been added.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

giulia

#29 Post by giulia »

JohnTHaller wrote:The portable launcher we use for portable apps that use drivers like PeerBlock, WinCDEmu, etc has code to take ownership of the registry keys in question and then delete them if they did not exist before you used the app. Unfortunately, on some systems, the SYSTEM role, which has ownership of the keys by default when the driver creates them, somehow prevents the admin context the app is being run under from taking ownership of the keys and then deleting them. When this occurs, they're actually impossible to delete via Regedit running under Admin as well. At least without a reboot.

Peerblock Portable's page on PortableApps.com lacked the note about this that WinCDEmu and others have. It's been added.
hi
thanks for explanation

giulia

#30 Post by giulia »

JohnTHaller wrote:The portable launcher we use for portable apps that use drivers like PeerBlock, WinCDEmu, etc has code to take ownership of the registry keys in question and then delete them if they did not exist before you used the app. Unfortunately, on some systems, the SYSTEM role, which has ownership of the keys by default when the driver creates them, somehow prevents the admin context the app is being run under from taking ownership of the keys and then deleting them. When this occurs, they're actually impossible to delete via Regedit running under Admin as well. At least without a reboot.

hi
just few words , it's offtopic ,but seeing your answer , i guess that even process monitor is not stealth
i will test on a clean installation

thanks