PageDefrag

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Hank7

PageDefrag

#1 Post by Hank7 »

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/PageDefrag.html
PageDefrag uses advanced techniques to provide you what commercial defragmenters cannot: the ability for you to see how fragmented your paging files and Registry hives are, and to defragment them. In addition, it defragments event log files and Windows 2000/XP hibernation files (where system memory is saved when you hibernate a laptop).

PageDefrag works on Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Server 2003.
Does leave something, after all, it defragments after reboot. But given the nature of the application... you know the rest.

Andrew Lee

#2 Post by Andrew Lee »

Nice app, but can it really be considered portable?

After all, it has to install a driver so that it is activated during the boot process.

I don't think it can run off a portable storage device like a USB memory stick.

Hank7

PageDefrag

#3 Post by Hank7 »

It works fine from my USB HDD, and I just tried it from a memory stick as well.

Actually, it will also work if you disconnect the drive on which PageDefrag is saved.

The Application only offers three options:

1) Defragment at next boot
2) Defragment every boot
3) Don't defragment (uninstall)

Theses can also be triggered by command line parameters, which make PageDefrag a good combination to some other applications.

For example, you can schedule PageDefrag with EventManager to run once a month, without even showing a GUI, it just does what it does the next time you restart your computer.

...or try the 3 P's (PageDefrag, PStart and PowerOff), just start PowerOff from PStart with these parameters (change relative paths to your needs):

reboot -warn -warntime 10 -msg "Reboot in 10 seconds.\nStart PageDefrag." -run -program "..\pagedfrg\pagedfrg.exe -o"

...this will reboot your computer and start PageDefrag with a single click.

Andrew Lee

#4 Post by Andrew Lee »

OK, I have posted it to the database. Thanks!