Making portable apps?

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
WilliamLucas

Making portable apps?

#1 Post by WilliamLucas »

Hi everyone,

was wondering if anyone had any input/experience with this.

I've found several recommendations online for Cameyo but was wondering if there is something better.

Hoping to use it to make a portable installation of NewsLeecher 7. I use SABnzbd for my automation but I do have use for running a stand alone program as well. I'm transferring my main computer to an Intel Nuc and I'm trying to have as many programs portable as possible to make it easier to reinstall if needed.

Thank you in advance.

Midas

Re: Making portable apps?

#2 Post by Midas »

I'm by any means an expert on developing portables, but if I rightly understand your intentions then I guess the following resources could be regarded as standard info to get you started.

Personally, whenever I need to turn something that isn't natively portable into a portable app, I make do with Primo/Regshot (to find out what system modification a program makes) and yaP (to take care of backing-up and restoring those modifications).

webfork

Re: Making portable apps?

#3 Post by webfork »

WilliamLucas wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:22 pm was wondering if anyone had any input/experience with this.
This question was answered a while back in a very thorough post by one of our users loin2kolpotoru so I'll just point to that thread.

Admittedly, the community here was much more active in building portable functionality around existing applications. Over time, we've shifted more towards contacting developers and asking them to build in portable functionality. But if you keep building on one of those tools, I'm very interested in hearing about your experiences.

Welcome to the site!