yMail

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
TheReaper

yMail

#1 Post by TheReaper »

http://www.spacejock.com/yMail.html

Nothing stored anywhere on the host.

Really nifty program for those of us who need just a small basic and, most importantly, SAFE email client on the run.

PS. I was a little surprised this one wasnt listed here already, or did I just miss it? If it is please ignore this.

TheReaper

#2 Post by TheReaper »

It writes to the application folder.

You need to install it and then just copy the folder minus the uninstall to your external.

Forgot to mention all this :|

Andrew Lee

#3 Post by Andrew Lee »

As far as I can tell, yMail installs and registers quite a number of ActiveX controls on the system during installation. I doubt it is portable.

TheReaper

#4 Post by TheReaper »

Well I honestly wouldn't know what it writes during installation because I used Universal Extractor to set it up, but I'm pretty positive that it doesnt write anything to the host computer. (I didnt find any new entries/additions that I could associate with yMail, but I could be wrong)

The author of the software, on his website also says, about ymail that "Nothing is stored on the host computer, it's completely self-contained." (http://www.spacejock.com/yMail.html)

Thanks

Andrew Lee

#5 Post by Andrew Lee »

After you extract using Universal Extractor, check under "{sys}" subfolder. There are a whole bunch of DLLs and OCXs there eg. asycfilt,1.dll, asycfilt,2.dll, MSINET,1.dll, MSINET,2.dll etc. I am not sure if those can be safely ignored.

TheReaper

#6 Post by TheReaper »

I only used the {app} folder, deleted the {sys} folder; I did that specifically to check if it was really portable, and it works.
I'll check again though, as in run it on a fresh comp, and after that check the registry, college tomorrow so will see on a machine there.

Andrew Lee

#7 Post by Andrew Lee »

I copied it to a fresh Win2K VM, and it complained about a missing MSCOMCTL.OCX. I copied this file from my own machine to the VM, and yMail manages to start. But I am still not sure if it will complain about other missing files when some other functions are invoked.

TheReaper

#8 Post by TheReaper »

Yes, got that too(also on win2k); it also complained about a missing RMPlib.dll file when I clicked on the reminders.

I think what the author meant by it being portable is that when its used that way you can only send and recieve messages and then download them to your normal machine, because it doesnt complain about anything missing for that to happen.

Though with PortableThunderbird and Pimmy being around guess this thing is pretty useless, small and secure but otherwise too limited and not all that portable.

Thanks