Weather Beetle [discontinued]

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
bzl333

Weather Beetle [discontinued]

#1 Post by bzl333 »

this writes to AppData and also the registry but its very useful and different than the current available portable weather apps. It uses NOAA data whereas most of the others use Yahoo. I think i used uniextract on the setup file and it works fine aside the nonstealth status.

http://pukincat.com/weatherbeetle.php

Weather Beetle is a free desktop weather application that retrieves text and graphical weather forecasts and current conditions from the NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) weather service.

Version: 3.0.7.153
Size: 1.24 mb

Features:

Point Forecast Tab: Retrieves 7 day outlook text forecasts from NOAA for a given point within the United States. Points are defined by latitude/longitude coordinates.

Hourly Point Forecast Tab: Retrieves hour by hour text forecasts for a 7 day outlook from NOAA for a given point within the United States. Points are defined by latitude/longitude coordinates.

Radar Tab: Retrieves graphical radar images from NOAA NEXRAD Doppler radar sites within the United States and U.S. territories.

Observations Tab: Retrieves current text observations from NOAA weather stations within the United States and U.S. territories.

Satellite Tab: Retrieves graphical satellite images from NOAA for Pacific and Atlantic ocean regions. Shows current satellite conditions for the United States and many surrounding regions.

METAR Tab: Retrieves METAR text observations from weather stations around the world.

Alert Tab: Retrieves current text alerts from NOAA weather stations within the United States and U.S. territories. Up to 5 stations can be set to auto update every 10 minutes and scroll across the bottom of the screen when an alert is active.

River Gauge Tab: Retrieves river text alerts/information from NOAA river gauges within the United States and U.S. territories.

System Requirements:

Windows XP/Vista/7/8
128mb RAM

the RADAR and Satellite images are in color, unlike these examples.

TP109

Re: Weather Beetle

#2 Post by TP109 »

Useful features in this app. I especially like the hourly forecasting. I am configuring and testing a yaP launcher for it. Haven't fully tested it, but so far I've been able to save the settings locally using the following in the yaP WeatherBeetle.ini file:

[GENERAL]
application = App\WeatherBeetle.exe
; commandline =
; workdir =

[BEFORE]
dir = %Appdata%\PukinCatIndustries\WeatherBeetle
; file = %Appdata%\Dir\File.ini
regkey = HKCU\Software\PukinCatIndustries\WeatherBeetle

[AFTER]
-dir = %Appdata%\PukinCatIndustries :: ifempty
; -file = %Appdata%\File*
-regkey = HKCU\Software\PukinCatIndustries :: ifempty

webfork

Re: Weather Beetle

#3 Post by webfork »

Old thread update:

Very nice little program but unfortunately looks to be discontinued, last updated in 2016.

https://www.snapfiles.com/get/weatherbeetle.html
https://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/ ... etle.shtml

juverax

Re: Weather Beetle [discontinued]

#4 Post by juverax »

Softpedia and snapfiles don't have the software.
I found it at MajorGeeks: https://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/getmirror ... tle,1.html

It is possible to install Weather Beetle as a portable app:
WeatherBeetle_Portable.jpg

All that is left is to figure out how to make the app work .... :shock:

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

Good add, thanks.
juverax wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:01 pm All that is left is to figure out how to make the app work .... :shock:
Yeah weather apps kinda need to talk to some other service to function. I mostly update these old posts so maybe someone maybe picks up this same style of weather app.

juverax

#6 Post by juverax »

Quote webfork " Yeah weather apps kinda need to talk to some other service to function "
Yes, you are right, and within the app it is impossible to update the access and format to the repositories of the data providers ( www.noaa.gov, www.weather.gov, www.aviationweather.gov ).
Weather Beetle WAS a nice app :(

juverax

#7 Post by juverax »

Note: In the installation folder of Weather Beetle, there is a file: "zipcode.db", it is a plain text CSV file of US zip codes, latitudes and longitudes.

Here is a sample line: 07082,Towaco,New Jersey,NJ,Morris,40.9277,-74.3428

It is worth keeping a copy of this file somewhere else in you toolkit of "useful resources', though the list might not be fully up-to-date since it was compiled at the time Weather Beetle was last released.