Free Software saves (big) money

Share interesting information or links related to portable apps here.
Midas

Free Software saves (big) money

#1 Post by Midas »

Duh! :mrgreen:
  • Munich says the move to open source has saved it more than € 10m, a claim contested by Microsoft, yet Hofmann says the point of making the switch was never about money, but about freedom.

SYSTEM

Re: Free Software saves (big) money

#2 Post by SYSTEM »

Awesome. :)
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

Munich says the move to open source has saved it more than € 10m, a claim contested by Microsoft, yet Hofmann says the point of making the switch was never about money, but about freedom.
There's a term in sales that makes companies smile and customers itch: "sticky," or hard to let go of once a customer makes the initial purchase. Vendor lock-in is a real issue in computing that companies and governments should actively avoid. It's always a good idea in IT environments to have the ability to switch if something better comes along, and Microsoft spends a huge amount of time and energy making its products hard to walk away from. Whenever they release a bad patch, introduce a feature you hate, or gives you terrible support, it's a reminder that one company for your OS, Office, and email might not work.

freakazoid

#4 Post by freakazoid »

I've been wanting to make a switch to Linux myself, but I just can't find good alternatives to my favorite portable freeware apps! And no, I don't want to use WINE if I can help it.
is it stealth? ;)

Midas

#5 Post by Midas »

freakazoid wrote:And no, I don't want to use WINE if I can help it.
  • Neither do I, I've been down that road before... What about Windows in a Virtual Box?

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote:What about Windows in a Virtual Box?
That's pretty much my setup, although with a Mac and under VMWare. I'm looking forward to switching to a Linux machine sometime in the coming months.

SYSTEM

#7 Post by SYSTEM »

freakazoid wrote:I've been wanting to make a switch to Linux myself, but I just can't find good alternatives to my favorite portable freeware apps! And no, I don't want to use WINE if I can help it.
My situation is similar, but I have started playing AAA games (which are nearly always Windows-only) as well. I have simply decided to keep using Windows for the foreseeable future. :?
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020