IE 9 unreadable

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.
portablefree

IE 9 unreadable

#1 Post by portablefree »

1st of all, many thanks for all the hard work! Been using and referring to TPFC since many years!

Problem with new site : unreadable in IE 9, all updates, win 7 home 64b
Message : problem, IE is forced to compatibility mode (approximate translation, my system is not in english)
Problem : frames incorrectly displayed, unreadable (no text wrap, frame chrome masks content, etc.)

As a sidenote, please allow me venting a bit :
Had to register to post this : Incredibly bad experience!!!
Had to provide my junk mail address
Had to search the site for a stupid question instead of a simple captcha (foundation date, name of founder, had to register twice, since I always try with a fake email first...)
Very long and frustrating procedure just to let you know that a perfectly functioning and useful website has become unreadable, slow to load, not compatible with tablet, with much more scrolling involved, much more embedded frames when a simple link used to just simply WORK, etc.
Why let it as is when it's not broken, I suppose...
/venting

lautrepay

Re: IE 9 unreadable

#2 Post by lautrepay »

Have you cleared the browser cache and cookies?
As for the registration procedure, see http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... 567#p58567 and next posts.
And welcome to the TPFC forum.

joby_toss

#3 Post by joby_toss »

And now you are the proud member of a wonderful community! This should be enough!

tproli

#4 Post by tproli »

If the problem still exists, attach a screenshot please.

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

portablefree wrote:Had to register to post this : Incredibly bad experience!!!
Had to provide my junk mail address
Had to search the site for a stupid question instead of a simple captcha (foundation date, name of founder, had to register twice, since I always try with a fake email first...)
/venting
Thanks for your feedback. As we are a volunteer website, it's been difficult to implement some of the intelligent spam filtering systems some of the big companies have. However, part of what makes this site great is that it's been able to avoid much of the spam that's overwhelmed other volunteer-based sites. The requirement of a real email address and the complexity of the registration process is one of these steps, though it's good to know it might be problematic for legitimate users. It's unlikely we won't be able to do much about the email address requirement -- that's a fairly standard authentication. Accepting fake email addresses as authentication would mean we'd get overwhelmed with spam or require moderators like myself to sift through even more messages to try and determine good from bad.
portablefree wrote:Very long and frustrating procedure just to let you know that a perfectly functioning and useful website has become unreadable, slow to load, not compatible with tablet, with much more scrolling involved, much more embedded frames when a simple link used to just simply WORK, etc.
I think the updated look and feel really improves site readability and usability, though it may make it incompatible with some older tools. What tablet are you using?
portablefree wrote:Problem with new site : unreadable in IE 9, all updates, win 7 home 64b
tproli wrote:If the problem still exists, attach a screenshot please.
Yes, please. I can't verify your issue on my Win7 IE 9 system.

portablefree

#6 Post by portablefree »

1st of all, sorry for my rant, uncalled for, and profoundly unfair for all people who give their hard work freely. Bad day for sure, really sorry.

Back on topic : yes cache cleared (use CCleaner many times a day)

Have a screenshot, but can't paste it, do i have to use an external host (Img tag)? If yes, do you have a simple one to recommend that works well for this forum, ideally without registration ( ;-) )
Edit: nevermind, found http://postimage.org/ seems to work without registration.

As a sidenote, it seems the problem disappears if I'm logged in, going to test further...
Edit : strange, worked once, works no more, gonna retest after clearing everything and re-logging

Many thanks for your welcome dispite my wrong attitude, I might as well use that login to give back a little, at least by commenting on the apps I use regularly!

Edit : try to link screenshot

2nd edit : error message from IE, roughly translated as:
"A problem showing portablefreeware.com has forced IE to refresh the page using compatibilty mode"
http://s14.postimage.org/j03ldbxlt/Screenshot2.png
Last edited by portablefree on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

portablefree

#7 Post by portablefree »

OK, futher testing, I'm lost... but I swear I'm sober!!!

Closed IE
Ran CCleaner (no exception for this site yet)
Open main page through google search
=> problem is here (as in the screenshot above)

Login on main page
=> problem still there

Go to forum to type this
Open main page in new tab (Ctrl+Clic on the main logo)
=> problem disappears!!!

May I test something else, if useful?

(For my usage, I'll just go through Iron Portable and call it a day!)

Edit 1:
This time, added the site to the exceptions in CCleaner

Go to main page through Favorite (fresh one)
I'm logged-in
=> Problem is here

Open in a new tab (Ctrl+clic on main logo)
=> No problem, site appears A-OK

Edit 2:
Just for fun, compared with Iron: IE9 is scrap!

Go to "All": in IE9, the last sub-categories on the right of the frame are all scrambled, sometimes one letter per line(!), in Iron, nice and smooth...

Midas

#8 Post by Midas »

portablefree wrote:1st of all, sorry for my rant, uncalled for, and profoundly unfair for all people who give their hard work freely. Bad day for sure, really sorry.
We all have gone there, no harm done, carry on... ;)

Ascend4nt

#9 Post by Ascend4nt »

I can confirm that IE9 keeps jumping into Compatibility View with those ugly scrollbars (Win 7). Ah well, good thing I hardly touch that browser, even if it is fast at canvas stuff

SYSTEM

#10 Post by SYSTEM »

I can confirm that the website indeed has these scrollbars if the Compatibility View is on. However, my IE10 doesn't automatically switch to the Compatibility View.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

freakazoid

#11 Post by freakazoid »

tproli / andrewlee: Use this meta tag in the

Code: Select all

<head>
to force IE to use the latest compatible version:

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=Edge" />
This will essentially turn off IE's crappy compatibility mode.
is it stealth? ;)

tproli

#12 Post by tproli »

Thanks, that could help. I usually use this:

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge,chrome=1">
Atm I cannot test as I does not have IE9 at hand.