IPFS - persistent P2P storage

Any other tech-related topics
webfork

IPFS - persistent P2P storage

#1 Post by webfork »

Even before the recent series of posts by TalkOrBell about various archive.org gems, a lot of this site's energy has been focused on finding and maintaining old tools, software, and websites. That's why discussion of a toolset that helps maintain availability regardless of ownership or server, which came up on the Bat to Exe thread, is probably worth discussing.

A little digging gives a bit more info: https://techcrunch.com/2015/10/04/why-t ... -too-late/

I suspect this has already been addressed somewhere else in some way, but I had a few notes/concens:
  • Some amount of what they're describing could be taken 1:1 from everything "cloud" was supposed to provide and just replace it with "P2P". Scalable websites, persistent storage, distributed access, etc. all sound familiar.
  • Data loss is a serious issue (we deal with it on the site frequently), but I didn't see anything addressing the problem of bad/useless/outdated information. Just because X exists doesn't mean anyone should spend time or energy to maintain X.
  • How exactly they're going to address demand for high quality video, which is THE bandwidth hog for as long as I've been on the Internet and only ever gets worse.
  • I'd like to see any discussion of maintaining a persistent web involve some discussion of archive.org, which has been doing it for a very long time. Maybe that's been explored, but I haven't found it.
  • A lot of the discussion I'm seeing on this topic is fairly pie-in-the-sky and reminds me a bit of early discussion of an Internet utopia. The vague explanation around blockchain doesn't help.
In any case, based on the Reddit thread, this does seem to be an active and busy thing so maybe I'm the one out of the loop.

On a related note, I'd really like to see someone solve the problem of endpoint distribution or local caching. Meaning that if 50 people in a small area are all accessing the same thing (let's say for a class or because someone sent out link explaining a local event), that's 50 downloads that could get cached in part or in whole to a local distribution point, saving loads of time, energy, and network latency. Some shrewd network admins can build local caching into a given area, but that's absolutely all traffic and doesn't help with encrypted services. Peer to peer was supposed to help solve that but that never seemed to materialize.