active @ undelete HELP please

Ask other users about problems encountered with portable apps or help by posting solutions to existing problems.
lilacroses33

active @ undelete HELP please

#1 Post by lilacroses33 »

my laptop had been playing up so my brother had a look at it and he asked me if ok to do a format, i said yeah cuz i had backed everything up. BUT i found out after the reformat of comp that i had deleted my pics and music off my external hdd and forgot to replace with what i had on my laptop. i was in a rush that nite and didnt double check everything i was backing up. i have my music because my brother had copied that to his computer thankgod!! I have got a lot of my photos back, not all but am just trying another scan on the external drive using the active @ undelete program. When i try to view some of the photos i have recovered it says 'Photo Gallery can't open this picture or video. This file format is not supported, or you don't have the latest updates to Photo Gallery." does anyone know why this has happened to some of my photos and how i can fix it? Please let me know if you can help. thank you very much :)

grannyGeek

#2 Post by grannyGeek »

hi lilacroses33, welcome to the forum!

what format are your pictures in?
if they are jpeg, you could try IrfanView to open them, IrfanView sometimes can open corrupted jpeg pictures that other software can't handle.

take a look at the link in this thread I posted a while back
http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... php?t=2523

As I noted there, jpeg files seem to be very fragile and prone to damage when they are copied or moved from drive to drive.

hope this might help.
Good luck!

lilacroses33

#3 Post by lilacroses33 »

they are jpeg files. thanks for your reply. i did try that irfan view but it cannot open the files :( and i tried that link with the frhed files but that was far too complicated. i could not find the "ff da" that it was asking for...said not in the data.

Andrew Lee

#4 Post by Andrew Lee »

Strongly suggest you try PhotoRec instead. It is format-ware, so it works better on recognized file formats compared to other format-agnostic undelete apps.