A JAVA Section?

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.
Andre

A JAVA Section?

#1 Post by Andre »

I've come across a number of interesting cross platform stand alone apps written in JAVA (others in Rebol, Snack etc). JAVA stuff ain't built for speed, nor is is it exactly USB friendly, I know.

All the same, given the range of stuff out there, could it be worth having a JAVA / High Level Language section? Just a thought.

Andre

Andrew Lee

#2 Post by Andrew Lee »

Actually some apps listed in the database are written in Python or Tcl. The runtime is bundled so it is transparent to the user.

Unfortunately, I think the JRE license disallows such bundling of runtime.

Andre

#3 Post by Andre »

Yes, I think you're right about JRE.

I guess what I'm suggesting here is a section on JAVA other HLL coded stuff developed to be portable in the general sense, that the program and data can be moved between workstations / labs, no matter the OS. This is distinct from apps which can run happily off USB keys and have no or few dependencies. (which is your focus here). Just tossing in ideas about software sub-catagories for your DB ...

Anyway, great job Andrew. This has to be one of the few truly useful sites on the net!

Andre

Nicolas CJ

#4 Post by Nicolas CJ »

I think it is not totally true :

From Java.com
(http://java.com/en/download/help/index_legal.xml)
Can I bundle the Java Runtime Environment along with my application?

Yes, you can bundle the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) provided that you abide by the terms and conditions of the JRE binary code license.
Such software does exists : CMapTools for example, which is portable with "Java inside".

The problem is to be able to install only one JVM on a USB stick and make all the Java applications refer to this only JVM. So that you need only one JVM and not one for each software. It is possible, but you need to make a launcher (*.bat file) for each Java software.

I did it, and this way, I have on my USB stick : CMaptools, Freemind, Ganttproject, VUE, Xecephe. All are either freewares or even open source softwares that are bundle with or need the Java JRE.

I tried Launch4J which is a program made to lauch Java software using the JVM you choose (the one on your computer or that on the stick). No luck so far, but not that much tries either. :oops: Up to know, I stick to *.bat files, even if there is no standard rules to make them : each program is a particular case. And you have to be carefull with relative path...

And even with that, Java software doesn't mean necessarily portable application (i.e. nomad application). For example, I didn't succeed with OpenWorkBench. But perhaps it is because I am not that good with *.bat files. :?

Nicolas CJ

Taggy

Java apps that can run on any OS?

#5 Post by Taggy »

Hi there,
I have a Mac at home and a PC at work.
Is there a filter/section for x-platform java apps?
I don't care about JRE license restrictions - I can assume that any PC I run it on will have JRE.

I'm mainly looking for file encryption/decryption and file movement/access (SSH/FTP client).

Any ideas?

Erind

#6 Post by Erind »

At the current time, Java (JRE) based applications are not allowed in the database because they require a piece of software to be installed on the host machine to run. This is the same reason .NET applications are not allowed on here either.

Taggy

Mac AND PC

#7 Post by Taggy »

because they require a piece of software to be installed on the host machine to run
So do the other portable apps, though: they need Windows to run. My issue is that truly portable apps should work on any OS. The only real way that can be accomplished is using Java, since many systems (Win/Linux/Mac OSX) have that installed for web apps. .Net has its own runtime, but this is not multi-OS (only Win).

So, by your response, can I take it you're not planning to cater for truly portable, multi-OS apps any time?

usdcs

#8 Post by usdcs »

Hi Taggy,

By your response,
truly portable, multi-OS apps
I take it you haven't read the About section on the site. It begins, thus:
This site is dedicated to the collection and cataloging of Windows freeware that can be extracted to any directory and run independently without prior installation.
If you read further on, Andrew writes:
It must not rely on any particular platform runtimes. Some examples of platform runtimes are .Net and Java. I know this is a controversial issue for many, but for the time being, I will only include pure Win32 apps in the database. I will further assume that certain common Windows components are already installed (eg. HTMLHelp, Internet Explorer), so I do not consider them to be significant dependencies.
I'm not speaking for Andrew. But, I believe that he's made his intentions quite clear.

Andrew Lee

#9 Post by Andrew Lee »

Thanks, usdcs. Indeed, my position on Java and .NET apps are quite clear. Search the forum and you will see that this topics has been discussed many times.

This site is Windows only. I don't see it going cross-platform any time soon.

Darkbee

#10 Post by Darkbee »

It's worth noting that many of the popular open source apps for Windows are also available for other platforms; FireFox, OpenOffice, GAIM, NVU, VLC and GIMP to name but a few (some available for Linux and Mac, some just for Linux).

Don't forget that many other operating systems don't have a notion of a registry so this goes some way towards inherently portability.

usdcs

#11 Post by usdcs »

@Darkbee
many other operating systems don't have a notion of a registry
I believe that sums it up quite nicely. If we didn't have to deal with the Registry, the notion of "Portability" might not come up in conversation. As for Andrew's decision, I see it as a matter of Focus as opposed to Bias. As a former Unix SysAdmin now working in a Windows environment, and always accosted by acquaintances that "need some PC help" on their home Windows PC's, I've amassed a collection of portable tools thanks to TPFC. I value TPFC, and appreciate its focus. (And, I cannot count on Java or .NET being installed on the machines I am likely to run into.)

Furthermore, I especially value the vetting process that the applications go through. As has been said in other threads, just because someone claims "portability" doesn't make it so. Similarly, just because it's been posted in the Forums doesn't make it trustworthy. I have come to rely on the endorsements of Andrew, Darkbee, Fluffy, and AlephX.

Keep up the good work, fellows!

Dan

Andrew Lee

#12 Post by Andrew Lee »

If we didn't have to deal with the Registry, the notion of "Portability" might not come up in conversation.
Don't forget the equally evil :evil: "user profile folder"!

offler

#13 Post by offler »

I reply to this a little bit late but...

to be true i worked a lot with diferent systems. You just can'T say that just because there is no registry you have no problems with being portable. One easy example:

I use iperf as a fast first step to measure transfer speed between different computers in a network (sometimes you find out that the administrator of a company is a little.. let's say wrong in his job and you have 193 Mbit on a Gbit network). Within Windos, the app is portable as hell. Just start it in a command line in Windows 9x to Vista. Lets try the same thing with Solaris 9. First you need to make the program. You will get on a normal system dependancy error, should install a lot of other stuff (just for a small network tool which does nothing than measurements). After some while you came to the point that they need other stuff, want a certain verion of lib files, gcc ans so on.

This small example shows quite well, that portable has nothing to do whether a system has a registry or not.

webfork

Method for Portable Java

#14 Post by webfork »

> the JRE license disallows such bundling of runtime

Users can generate such packages themselves
http://portableapps.com/support/openoff ... table#java

Too much work? Given that many users already do a lot of work to get software on this site running (for example Winamp's Full version), this isn't asking too much.

But this doesn't cover it. I have NOT read every thread on this topic that Mr. Lee has. I'll readily bow to his better judgment.

There's a lot to gain. I agree with user Andre that -- if it could be worked out -- it would expand PFW's selection quickly and positively. There are a long list of excellent Java software.

This may be a lot of work. I'd like to start a separate project to create something for PFW and Java but I simply don't have the time. Hopefully someone can pick this up and nag someone over at Sun to help us out.

webfork

Re:

#15 Post by webfork »

Another old thread update:
Nicolas CJ wrote:Ganttproject
WinPenPack put out a version that could easily get into the database:

X-Ganttproject
http://www.winpenpack.com/en/download.php?view.1279
http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-S ... ject.shtml