Education - Keyboarding

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.
donald

Education - Keyboarding

#1 Post by donald »

Typing is a fairly important skill.

Comparable to reading and writing in the importance to further education and development.

Typing is so very basic and important to all business jobs and college classes that it is indispensable.

Typing is so important I believe it should be recognized as a specific category, also it is too basic to lump in with skills, and educational tools that should come later. (Programing, math claculatins, etc.)

Typing tools should In my opinion be listed under Education - Typing, or Education - Keyboarding.

I know virtually no one types with anything but a computer today(typewriter users are rare), but there are very many possible items to add to the very general Education - Computing. (programing, scripting, batches, general computer use, office use, etc)

I believe there are 5 Typing tutor programs in the database:TYPETEST, TIPP10, Stamina Typing Tutor, TypeFaster Typing Tutor, RapidTyping.

I believe RapidTyping is mis-listed in Education - Language (possibly a mistake?? possibly not??)

I am currently looking for programs to teach the practical use of official Windows OS, Office, KeyBoard-Shortcuts, along with popular Windows compatible Programs. IG: Win-Tab, Alt-Tab, Win-L, Win-R, etc

webfork

Re: Education - Keyboarding

#2 Post by webfork »

donald wrote:I believe there are 5 Typing tutor programs in the database:TYPETEST, TIPP10, Stamina Typing Tutor, TypeFaster Typing Tutor, RapidTyping.

I believe RapidTyping is mis-listed in Education - Language
Yeah. Looks like someone agreed as that's been updated. but I agree, an Education - Typing category seems called for at this point. Thanks for paying attention to the categories system. It doesn't get a lot of notice, but I think its important for new visitors. I've been trying to revise some of the categories and break up some of the groupings that are getting to big, but currently a little overwhelmed.
donald wrote:I am currently looking for programs to teach the practical use of official Windows OS, Office, KeyBoard-Shortcuts, along with popular Windows compatible Programs. IG: Win-Tab, Alt-Tab, Win-L, Win-R, etc
I think the second issue after learning how to type for folks new to computers is how to enable automation and time-saving techniques (like hotkeys).

donald

Re:Shortcuts and Keyboarding

#3 Post by donald »

@ Webfork (Certainly you will know all of the below, it is a case for a practical training program (exe) to train beyond typing, and into shortcuts, hot-keys, the run dialogue, batches, commands, and eventually Command Line etc.)

Shortcuts and Keyboarding

Keyboard shortcuts exist in almost any program.

Even internet based email, and various websites use keyboard shortcuts.

Some shortcuts such as Alt-F4 are pretty global, educating the use of shortcuts is a practical time saving skill.

To develop the habits required for touch typing practice is the only answer.

Keyboard shortcuts, hot-keys and batches are also redundant unless you develop the habit of using them.

Making hot-keys, batches, etc is another basic time saving skill set but is more advanced. (Good keyboarding should include the use of Keyboard Shortcuts.)

A program that acted like a typing tutor, but taught the use of keyboard shortcuts, hot-keys etc would be a very good educational tool.

Use and practice make time savers practical, and a keyboarder can type shortcuts faster than most users can use a mouse.
(It is entirely possible to use a computer without a mouse and be far faster than a mouse user.)

Try using the tab key when filling forms online, or offline you may be surprised at how much faster it is to hit a tab-key rather than break your keyboard posture, grab and move the mouse, find the spot on the monitor again click it and resume typing.

Saving a Bookmark in Firefox requires only Ctrl-D, I believe Internet Explorer is the same for a shortcuts.

donald

Re: Education - Keyboarding

#5 Post by donald »

Thank you lautrepay

You have just made my point, that a program to teach the use of shortcuts, hotkeys etc would be very beneficial.

I will try to ask the Developers of the typing programs currently in the database if they could incorporate some lessons on the use of basic word processor shortcuts etc.

Edit******************
Have you ever used the zoom function in a web-browser by mistake or on purpose?

Getting it back to normal is time consuming if you use the mouse wheel.

Found an article http://www.lancelhoff.com/reset-zoom-in ... off.com%29

In the article Ctrl 0 (not num pad zero) resets zoom instantly