Learn AutoIt.

Share interesting information or links related to portable apps here.
guinness

Learn AutoIt.

#1 Post by guinness »

For those on TPFC that use AutoHotKey and feel that AutoIt is a little more complicated, then do not despair. There is a very intuitive and detailed tutorial (with examples & questions) on how to use AutoIt.

It's what I used when I started to learn the interpreted language.

As mentioned in the past, the problem with AutoHotKey is the lack of documentation that can be found on the Internet, which is opposite when it comes to AutoIt.

Homepage on the AutoIt Forums: Learning To Script with AutoIt V3

webfork

Re: Learn AutoIt.

#2 Post by webfork »

Very cool, thanks. Easy automation should be part of learning to use a computer.

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

Needing to automate some processes, I decided to pull up AutoIt again and see what I could figure out. What I found is similar to what I remember: this program is easier than many other programs, but our extract process is confusing and not very accessible to new users. If you are following our instructions, you download and run the program and it asks you what script you want to open. There's no clear idea of what script will do what and there aren't any included scripts in the main directory to get started with.

Adding to the confusion, the included tutorials aren't for the portable version; someone who used the AutoItHelp.exe file would see tutorials that involve right-clicking and selecting "New - AutoIt Script", which isn't something that the portable version can do.

I've edited the entry a bit to try and address this (pointing to guinness' link) but ideas on how to make the entry more accessible are welcome.

guinness

#4 Post by guinness »

Were you referring to my Portable Version? I could create a compiled program of my Portable Version if this would Help for new users? And the problem is the Help File relies on the Registry because it presumes .au3 is associated with AutoIt, I could use this >> _ShellFile to associate the .au3 filetype with the Portable Version and then delete at closing of SciTE.

Also there is a folder labeled Examples which has simple and advanced Examples for those wanting to see the AutoIt code syntax.

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

guinness wrote:Were you referring to my Portable Version? I could create a compiled program of my Portable Version if this would Help for new users? And the problem is the Help File relies on the Registry because it presumes .au3 is associated with AutoIt, I could use this >> _ShellFile to associate the .au3 filetype with the Portable Version and then delete at closing of SciTE.
That could work, sure. Or if we could in some way change the directions to open the editor first so that it starts with sort of an explanation / help file or one of the examples that you noted. So that new users could put their hands on it and start doing automation quick and easy. I'm more than willing to write something for this.

guinness

#6 Post by guinness »

What about this as the Startup Screen for when people use the AutoIt Portable? A user clicks on the File and this is "Sent" to the Editor Window. Something I created in 20 minutes!
Last edited by guinness on Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

hgv

#7 Post by hgv »

guinness wrote:As mentioned in the past, the problem with AutoHotKey is the lack of documentation that can be found on the Internet
Which is of course not entirely true if you simply visit the AutoHotkey website at www.autohotkey.com (which will be updated anyway)

guinness

#8 Post by guinness »

I'm just curious (as I have a couple of ideas for programs) who uses AutoIt but more importantly who uses SciTE4AutoIt3? If you could let me know that would be brilliant! :)

guinness

#9 Post by guinness »

The reason I asked was I've create a new & improved SciTE Hopper >> http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic ... one-click/ so if anyone wants to use it just let me know! :)