New Category suggestion: Desktop Organization

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.
webfork

New Category suggestion: Desktop Organization

#1 Post by webfork »

So the biggest category here on the site is Desktop Accessories with 77 entries. I was trying to think of a way to subdivide that group and shrink that number and I came up with "Desktop Organization". Would probably include:

WinSplit Revolution
Sh'elf
Swept Away
Griddy
Minime
Aquasnap

... and any other programs designed to cleanup / organize the desktop. This could probably be further subdivided into "Window Cleanup" and "Desktop Organization"

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Hydaral

Re: New Category suggestion: Desktop Organization

#2 Post by Hydaral »

It looks like a lot of the apps in that category are also in other categories that classify it better, maybe the users that added them thought they would get more exposure the more categories they are in.

eg:
Dexpot - virtual desktop and window manager
Easy timer - clock/alarm
WinSplit Revolution - window manager
Vector Clock - clock/alarm
PNotes - desktop notes
Rainlendar Lite - calendar
AquaSnap - window manager
ControlPad - keyboard shortcuts
Stickies - desktop notes

And that's only the first three pages.

Perhaps there should also be a soft limit of two categories for apps?

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

Hydaral wrote:Dexpot - virtual desktop and window manager
Easy timer - clock/alarm
WinSplit Revolution - window manager
Vector Clock - clock/alarm
PNotes - desktop notes
Rainlendar Lite - calendar
AquaSnap - window manager
ControlPad - keyboard shortcuts
Stickies - desktop notes
I definitely agree with the "Desktop Notes" and "Window Manager" ideas. Clock/Alarm would also be good rather than just "Productivity - Scheduling" or whatever. Good call.
Hydaral wrote:Perhaps there should also be a soft limit of two categories for apps?
A good example of why I'd be against that is Dexpot and PicPick which are both programs that are feature monsters. Unless we can find a way to break them into a special product category the way OpenOffice/LibreOffice are set; both of these have tons of features, but "office suite" communicates them clearly. Desktop Suite? I dunno.

Hydaral

#4 Post by Hydaral »

webfork wrote:
Hydaral wrote:Perhaps there should also be a soft limit of two categories for apps?
A good example of why I'd be against that is Dexpot and PicPick which are both programs that are feature monsters. Unless we can find a way to break them into a special product category the way OpenOffice/LibreOffice are set; both of these have tons of features, but "office suite" communicates them clearly. Desktop Suite? I dunno.
I was was thinking of a note when selecting categories to choose only one or two unless more are absolutely necessary.

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

Hydaral wrote:I was was thinking of a note when selecting categories to choose only one or two unless more are absolutely necessary.
Oh of course -- good idea.

Andrew Lee

#6 Post by Andrew Lee »

The only way out of the shackles of hierarchical labelling is tagging, which I have been wanting to implement for some time now, but have not found the time yet.

Otherwise, we are just going to get very bloated breath-wise with a 2-layer hierarchy classification system.

Andrew Lee

#7 Post by Andrew Lee »

Anymore, I have created the category "Productivity - Desktop Organization" and migrated the entries you suggested into that category.

Feel free to do the same for other entries that fit.

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

Andrew Lee wrote:The only way out of the shackles of hierarchical labelling is tagging, which I have been wanting to implement for some time now, but have not found the time yet.
The current system isn't ideal, but it certainly isn't broken either. It reminds me of back in the day when Yahoo had topics listed on their main page for years until the structure got so big that they had to let it go. Even the open online directory dmoz.org is impossibly behind. Still, we don't have even 0.001% the expansion and category problem that Yahoo had.
Andrew Lee wrote:Anymore, I have created the category "Productivity - Desktop Organization" and migrated the entries you suggested into that category.

Feel free to do the same for other entries that fit.
Will do -- thanks.