about MagicDisk and Gizmo; any suggestion' s welcome

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
zak_711

about MagicDisk and Gizmo; any suggestion' s welcome

#1 Post by zak_711 »

Hi. I' m trying to extract and run these software. I know they need a driver in System ... drivers, ( by threatexpert ). Using my sandbox I' ve ran the installer, so I found all dirs used by the program. Comparing the content of the extracted file with those ones in the sandbox I found many differences, in particular for Magic Disk. I wasn' t able to run the program in the sandbox, despite virtualized dirs. It gave me an error. So I was thinking of runnnig the driver .inf file to install the driver. I need to know if there is a particular dir to run the .inf file and then if there is a problem(s) to unload and delete the driver.

Gizmo was a little bit easy to run and I haven't these problems. I extracted the setup, and then I ran the .exe ( another "setup" with six .gupdate file) in the sandbox and the program was running. But I don' t know if this program writes to the registry.

Any suggestion' s welcome.

Thanks.

Magibon

Re: about MagicDisk and Gizmo; any suggestion' s welcome

#2 Post by Magibon »

Im not sure what your main goal is..

but i spent months trying to portabilize MagicDisc.
It's not possible because it utilizes a low-level driver "mcdbus".

But that's the hard way..
There's no need to portabilize MagicDisc, as there are working Portable ISO software available :)

I use these 2 software for all my ISO needs:
PassMark OSFMount
Portable WinCDEmu

As for your Gizmo.. im not sure what that is.. i don't use it.
but to find out whether a software writes to the registry, i use RegShot.
RegShot Portable: it takes a before and after snapshot of the registry and even drives if you specify. What i love about it over other similar software: is it's extremely fast! You will have to get used to reading the output log, but after a few usage, you'll start to see a pattern and understand how to decipher :) If i can figure it out, anyone can!

zak_711

Re: about MagicDisk and Gizmo; any suggestion' s welcome

#3 Post by zak_711 »

The problem is exactly mcdbus.sys; but if you install the driver what does it appens?
The other soft is on arainia.com/soft page if you want to see what it is.
I know the others portable soft, but they don't give me a good impression,
( that's why I worked on MagicDisk ).

Thanks for your advices.