[SUGGESTIONS] Improvement Suggestions For This Site…

Any other tech-related topics
Stone Tablet

#1 Post by Stone Tablet »

Just to get things started…

1. Provide access to the full list of Rejected Submissions. This list would be a great source for potential “Beta” launcher projects.

2. Allow the Sorting of DB by entry date, alphabetically, size, stealth, score, system requirements, accepted, rejected, reject reason…

3. Provide feedback on the evaluation process for submitted applications. i.e. STEP # 1 (OPEN)- Testing Phase, STEP # 2 (CLOSED) – Accepted or Rejected (If Accepted provide reference to the “Permalink”, If rejected provide link to Rejected DB “Permalink” with reason for rejection). The last post in the submission should clearly point to one of these two “Permalinks”.

4. Develop / publish a clear test standard / test method to determine if an application is “Portable”. (i.e. non-subjective)

5. Maintain a version history log with access to early versions.

What do you like on others sites? How can this great site be improved?

Please, submit your improvement ideas here. (Keep the tone positive!)

ashghost

#2 Post by ashghost »

Stone Tablet, I realize that you're urging politeness and your heart is in the right place, but I think there are 2 items you should read:

http://www.portablefreeware.com/about.php
http://portablefreeware.com/forums/view ... 2246#12246

For instance, do you want to tackle the literally hundreds of submissions that haven't been added to the database? Test each one for portability? Write a synopsis, make a screenshot, test for stealth, unicode support, etc.?

Of your suggestions, I think the first might be feasible/easily implemented, and I agree that it's a good idea.

I don't want to seem as if I'm trying to shut down this thread, but I think further suggestions should keep in mind that this website is one person's project (though I'll give credit where credit is due, in that plenty of updates and additions are entered by the mods).

Stone Tablet

#3 Post by Stone Tablet »

Maybe we should also include ideas that would help them! i.e.

Idea #6 - Make a "submission template" with required fields such as Portability test results, synopsis, screenshot, stealth test results, unicode support, etc. This will make entry to the DB easier.

In the end, Andrew will be the final judge on the merits of any ideas/suggestions. My hope is we can treat this thread as a "Suggestion Box" without any good idea/bad idea debates.