SnipSVG - Screenshots in SVG Format for Windows and Mac

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Eisschwimmer

SnipSVG - Screenshots in SVG Format for Windows and Mac

#1 Post by Eisschwimmer »

https://www.helpandmanual.com/snipsvg/

Name: SnipSVG
Version: 1.1
License: Freeware for private and commercial use
System requirements: Windows 11, 10, 8, 7 (32/64 bit) | macOS 11 Big Sur or later (Intel/Apple Silicon)
Dependencies: None, self-contained exe file running on Windows 7 and later
Size: 56 MB (minimal portable size: 32bit Windows exe ~28 MB, 64bit Windows exe ~38 MB)

Description:
SnipSVG is a screen capture and graphics editor that uses SVG vector images as its primary format.

SnipSVG is designed to be really simple to use and very fast. Plenty of clever helper functions such as auto-remembered styling and a favorites gallery deliver stunning results with just a few mouse clicks. When you look a bit deeper, however, you notice that SnipSVG contains a wide range of powerful image editing tools that you don't find in other screen capture applications. Crop screenshots, blur sensitive information, physically resize large photos, add HTML-formatted text.

SVG, SnipSVG's preferred save format, is a vector format that scales seamlessly when zoomed, for example in a web page. It also supports making elements of your screenshots interactive, with scripts and hyperlinks. Because SVGs are vector images, all the elements within them remain separate and editable.
Screenshots:
https://www.helpandmanual.com/snipsvg/#screenshots
Attachments
snipsvg_canvasframe_tn.png
snipsvg_canvasframe_tn.png (88.24 KiB) Viewed 1177 times
snipsvg_roundedcorners_tn.png
snipsvg_roundedcorners_tn.png (56.82 KiB) Viewed 1177 times
snipsvg_imageeffects_tn.png
snipsvg_imageeffects_tn.png (77.11 KiB) Viewed 1177 times
snipsvg_capture_tn.png
snipsvg_capture_tn.png (54.98 KiB) Viewed 1177 times

Eisschwimmer

Re: SnipSVG - Screenshots in SVG Format for Windows and Mac

#2 Post by Eisschwimmer »

Version 1.2 released.
  • Picture crop: Border trim function
  • Close command with keyboard shortcut CTRL+W.
  • Bugfix in Save-to-SVG

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

It's worth noting that the program takes standard image screenshots, and it's the addendums that are in SVG format, which you can zoom to any level and modify with an SVG editor.

I'll admit I was a little disappointed that it wasn't something akin to this Firefox add-on https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... reenshots/ where the screenshot contents are SVG files, but that's probably a lot to ask. There are some converter tools out there but the results are usually a little different from the original.

All that said, I do like the remarkably elegant and simple way SnipSVG applied the addendum tools. There's a lot to love here and it'll definitely make it's way into my setup.

The program does not appear to let you edit existing SVG files beyond rotation and addendums.

Thanks for the post, Eisschwimmer.

Eisschwimmer

#4 Post by Eisschwimmer »

Thank you for the nice review, webfork!
it's the addendums that are in SVG format
You are correct, just the added elements are vector objects. But so does the SVG Firefox add-in, it can't do magic, either. The Firefox add-in converts HTML code to SVG code and does a decent job at this, but any images that occur on that web page also become embedded JPG/PNG/GIFs. This, of course, works within the browser window only, while a screen capture tool must be able to capture any area of the desktop. So I guess we'll have to wait for some sophisticated AI-tool before we can enjoy truly "vectorized" screenshots.

My take on SnipSVG: it is not so much the scalable vector images, that make a difference. It's the fact that those SVG image can still be edited. Like the screenshots on their home page (e.g. https://www.helpandmanual.com/snipsvg/i ... pture3.svg). It saves me from keeping a separate editing copy of every picture in a different place. Scalability is a plus, of course.