What hardware are you using?

Discuss hardware related to portable usage, including the kind of storage devices people use, and how they use them.
h3kt0r

Re: What hardware are you using?

#61 Post by h3kt0r »

I've grabbed this device a few months ago for 60 bucks, and it's been great so far.
It's sold as a kit and you have to build the console yourself.
It runs "Batocera".

davidson

#62 Post by davidson »

i am using LEXAR CFexpress 128GB Type B it's work very well before this i used LEXAR CF 8 GB 800x it is also amazing but its had 8 gb gigabyte so i didn't like it...

h3kt0r

#63 Post by h3kt0r »

Low-tech charger. Works with 2 classical AA batteries available anywhere :

Around 10 bucks on Amazon.
Works great.
Useful for a pocket audio player, a smartphone, etc...

webfork

#64 Post by webfork »

h3kt0r wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:14 pm Low-tech charger. Works with 2 classical AA batteries available anywhere
Useful for a pocket audio player, a smartphone, etc...
Oh HELLS yes. I'm 1,000% gonna get this or something near it.

h3kt0r

#65 Post by h3kt0r »

An outstanding budget Digital Audio Player : Swofy X60
I had this DAP on a sale for 55 euros. This is a high-res digital audio player equipped with excellent chinese DAC and AMP section. Solid build quality, old-skool buttons driven interface, stellar battery life and sound-wise, it's on par with other DAPs i own : Xduoo X3, Sony NW-A45, Hifi Walker H2. It can take micro SD cards up to 512Gb. On the downside, you'll have to use "FATsorter" software to rebuild the files index on the micro SD each time you add audio files. And the audio tags can be a hit or miss, so it's a good idea to clean up these and remove the extra fields added by some audio library manager programs.
Otherwise, i'm perfectly satisfied with the SWOFY X60 which flawlessly does what it was built for :
Play high-res audio files...
Last edited by h3kt0r on Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Midas

#66 Post by Midas »

Looking nice. 8)

I was curious about audio formats supported and found the following in Amazon's product page:

Code: Select all

MP3 (384KB), WMA (192KB), [º]ACC (128KB), OGG (128KB), WAV (192KHz), APE (192KHz),
FLAC (192KHz), AIFF (192KHz), [§]DSD (3072KHz)
Are there any others not mentioned (especially ALAC or WavPack)?

And is there any word of Rockbox or alternative firmware support?

º) Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) is an audio coding standard for lossy digital audio compression. Designed to be the successor of the MP3 format, AAC generally achieves higher sound quality than MP3 encoders at the same bit rate.
§) Direct Stream Digital (DSD) is a trademark used by Sony and Philips for their system for digitally encoding audio signals for the Super Audio CD (SACD). DSD uses a delta-sigma modulation form of pulse-density modulation encoding -- a technique to represent audio signals in digital format using a sequence of single-bit values at a much higher sampling rate.

h3kt0r

#67 Post by h3kt0r »

The list of supported audio formats is accurate. Though apple AAC is not supported. Firmware is regularly updated and the developers are open to suggestions to improve it. There is no "Rockbox" open-source firmware for this device at the moment. But there is a "Rockbox" branch for the "Hifi Walker H2" which i own and rockboxed straight out-of-the-box. It runs fine but still no audio libary support ATM...

Midas

#68 Post by Midas »

Thanks for the input, h3kt0r. 8)