BCArchive - secure archive creation

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.

BCArchive - secure archive creation

#1 Post by 123456 »

I've tried many methods of making BCArchive portable. I've tried JPE, NSIS, and RegRapper. BCArchive itself writes registry entries under HKCU/Software/Jetico, so I need something to redirect it. All 3 works fine in that it loads the redirected registry and removes the entries after I'm done using it. However, when I double click on any file in an archive, it automatically opens in Notepad regardless of the file type instead of opening in the native program. If I launch the program itself, not through the wrapper, it works perfectly fine. Can anyone help me out here?

webfork

Re: BCArchive - secure archive creation

#2 Post by webfork »

No recent updates here but this was updated back in 2020 so I gave it another look.

---

Short version: a way to share archives without sharing a password. Essentially a PGP/GPG alternative.

Long version

In terms of an archive software, I'm not really seeing a reason to use this vs. other tools apart from sending an archive without a shared password (AKA "public key"). The encryption may or may not be better than other existing and open tools, I have no idea.

BestCrypt has a good reputation so you could certainly do a lot worse.

Works with keys created by the BCTextEncoder Utility. Claims compatibility with PGP/GPG-encoded archives but I haven't tested this. I'm unclear whether or not other programs support the program's .BCA archive format so it may be that both parties have to download and use this program to share information.

Steps:
  1. Download and extract with defaults
  2. Copy the install folder to a folder of your choice
  3. Uninstall the program, which requires a reboot or it won't delete the leftover junk in C:\Program Files (x86)\Jetico\
  4. Launch BCArchive.exe

Version tested: 2.07.2

License: Freeware

Home: https://www.jetico.com/free-security-to ... -bcarchive
Mirror: https://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/ ... hive.shtml