WinRun4j - Java launcher [discontinued]

Ask other users about problems encountered with portable apps or help by posting solutions to existing problems.
joby_toss

WinRun4j - Java launcher [discontinued]

#1 Post by joby_toss »

I just found out about this app today and I was wondering if anyone knows a little bit more about it:
WinRun4j is a java launcher for windows. It is an alternative to javaw.exe and provides the following benefits:
NEW: Flexible native access to any Windows API, compatible with PINVOKE.NET. See native binding examples for more information. This is currently BETA quality.
Uses an INI file for specifying classpath, main class, vm args, program args.
Custom executable name that appears in task manager.
Additional JVM args for more flexible memory use.
Built-in icon replacer for custom icon.
Pre-JVM splash screen with auto-hide.
DDE implementation for file assocations.
Windows NT Service wrapper.
Windows EventLog API
Console version
Support for 64-bit JVM.
Supports embedding (inside the executable) the INI file. See Embedded Resources section below.
Supports embedding a splash image.
Supports embedding JAR files. These will be included in the classpath (without extraction). This is currently BETA quality.
Eclipse Plugin for integrated launching, debugging and exporting as an executable bundle.

WinRun4J is licensed under the Common Public License (CPL).
http://winrun4j.sourceforge.net/

I don't know much about Java and I don't understand what this app does exactly.
Is this app of any use to us?

dany

Re: WinRun4j

#2 Post by dany »

I don't know squat either about java, but this looks like a runtime/invoker for java JAR files. That's what I gather from the site, but I could be wrong.
If it's portable then I'm sure there will be people interrested in this.

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

dany wrote:If it's portable then I'm sure there will be people interrested in this.
Looks like a frontend for javaw, which is definitely useful. So I'm definitely interested, but wondering if it uses the installed JRE or could work with jPortable or whatever.

dany

#4 Post by dany »

webfork wrote:So I'm definitely interested, but wondering if it uses the installed JRE or could work with jPortable or whatever.
Again from what I gather from the site, it uses the installed JRE. Under Usage there's a vm.location you can set to point to the JVM dll to use, maybe that's of any help.