qBittorrent - file sharing client

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
olliebean

Re: qBittorrent

#76 Post by olliebean »

Midas wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:38 am Thanks for the valuable input. As I have no experience with qBittorrent and both olliebean and userfriendly are upgraders, how do you think this issue would affect new users, i.e., those more likely to download and create a 'profile' folder to achieve portability? :|
"True" portable mode (i.e. the mode enabled by the --portable command line option, or by default if qBittorrent finds the "profile" folder in its directory) still enables the --relative-fastresume option. This means there is still an issue with any files saved on the same drive letter, but outside of qBittorrent's profile directory. Specifically, the paths to these files will be broken when qBittorrent is restarted. This would apply to new users as well as upgraders.

The workaround for this is to always use the --profile=profile command line option, which is essentially the same as portable mode but without --relative-fastresume being enabled. (Note however that this option only prevents the file paths being broken; it doesn't fix any paths that were already broken by running in "true" portable mode.)

Userfriendly

#77 Post by Userfriendly »

New users can use portable mode but need to understand the limitations and they be fine. If you want to save files in the same drive letter then you're restricted to saving it in the profile\qbittorrent\downloads folder. If you wanna save in the same drive letter but outside of the profile folder then you will need to use --profile method or the launcher. Otherwise, when one closes qbittorrent and relaunch app then existing downloads will not be found and needed to be deleted from list, re-added, and rechecked. Any downloads saved in a different drive letter from application will work fine.

I don't know how to explain this caveat to native portable mode concisely. I'll leave you guys to that lol.

https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/11706
This issue olliebean had where existing torrents got relocated didn't happen to me. Maybe because I have my "Default Torrent Management Mode" set to Manual and "When Default Save Path changed" to "Switch affected torrents to Manual Mode" instead of "Relocate affected torrents". Didn't test this so I don't know.

https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/11178
https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/7770
This is all a relative paths issue thing. Like relative to the working directory which is the profile folder and not relative to the qbittorrent.exe like one might expect or something like that. I read it could be a libtorrent library issue so it might not be easily fixed. Might be better to just let us have the option to save files in a relative path for portable use but have absolute paths be the default even in portable mode.

Midas

#78 Post by Midas »

Userfriendly wrote: I don't know how to explain this caveat to native portable mode concisely.

Don't fret, you've both done a great job. And thank you for that. 8)

I think some kind of warning is needed in the database entry to alert to this. Let's hope it's only temporary.

Midas

#79 Post by Midas »

Buyers beware...
The warning has been attached to the two newest qBittorrent releases:
ATTENTION WINDOWS USERS: There's a "qBittorrent" app on the Windows Store which costs money. It isn't an official release nor it is coming from us. The person publicizing it doesn't have permission to use the qBittorrent name/logo.

webfork

#80 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:23 am Buyers beware...
Good catch. As it's yet another reason to avoid Windows Store, I added something to that thread.

webfork

#81 Post by webfork »

Just a note that native portability is now directly addressed by the developers: github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/wiki/How-to-use-portable-mode

Userfriendly

#82 Post by Userfriendly »

The issues to portable mode we brought up have since been fixed in v4.2.2 and up. Native portable mode has been working great for me at least.

freakazoid

#83 Post by freakazoid »

Cool! Maybe it's time we updated our listing to the native app instead of the PA.com wrapper?
is it stealth? ;)

webfork

#84 Post by webfork »

freakazoid wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:22 pm Cool! Maybe it's time we updated our listing to the native app instead of the PA.com wrapper?
Yes, site policy is to point towards the natively portable version versus wrappers.

I'd been avoiding the topic because I have a bunch of other site things I want to take care of (fix intro items, video, site logo, add like 10 different programs, etc.) ahead of modifying the qBittorrent entry, but I'll hopefully get to that in the months ahead.  Anyone else that has access is welcome to make the switch.

freakazoid

#85 Post by freakazoid »

I've updated the listing with the latest portable instructions.
is it stealth? ;)

webfork

#86 Post by webfork »

freakazoid wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:59 pm I've updated the listing with the latest portable instructions.
Great stuff, thanks for that

freakazoid

#87 Post by freakazoid »

I've updated the listing to add a note about removing qbittorrent.pdb. This is a ~100MB file that is part of the installer and is only used for crash reporting, so it is safe to be deleted.

I've also updated the filesize to use the 64-bit version.
is it stealth? ;)

webfork

#88 Post by webfork »

freakazoid wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:24 pm I've updated the listing to add a note about removing qbittorrent.pdb. This is a ~100MB file that is part of the installer and is only used for crash reporting, so it is safe to be deleted.

I've also updated the filesize to use the 64-bit version.
Great addition. Given that some people might have a use for the crash reporting function (though admittedly rare), I pushed an edit to make it optional but please feel free to switch it back if that makes more sense.

webfork

#89 Post by webfork »

While this program is and has been my torrent program of choice for at least 3 years, I somehow never tested out the search function. Unfortunately that tool (in my testing) doesn't work very well and isn't portable. Updating entry.

webfork

#90 Post by webfork »

BillyECarroll wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:29 am Any update on this thread.
Update on what?