Pale Moon - web browser

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
bitcoin

Re: Pale Moon - web browser

#61 Post by bitcoin »

Firefox 57.0: 189.73
Basilisk 2017.11.12 (~Firefox 55): 178.50 (5.92% slower)
Pale Moon 27.6.1 (~Firefox 52): 179.23 (5.53% slower)
this doesnt really mean much for me though in everyday browsing

what does matter is another fork of FF allows me to open another browser that has tabs related to a different subject

for example, Pale Moon is my everyday browser and has uMatrix and uBlock Origin
K-Meleon i use when i need to see a webpage without ad-blocking or script blocking
Internet Exlporer i use when i want to catch a video URL and download it thru Internet Download Manager, because its not integrated with the other browsers
SeaMonkey is another general purpose browser i use that has about 30 tabs in memory that i use from time to time
Waterfox - i use another group of related tabs here and with password manager as well

now i can use Basilisk for another group, maybe different twitter users, since i have too many on Pale Moon now

Midas

#62 Post by Midas »

Nice breakdown. But I would get swiftly lost with that many browsers... ;)

Specular

#63 Post by Specular »

Pale Moon installers from their archived downloads section were infected with a malware dropper, the dev team revealed today. The malware is said to have affected archived downloads from Pale Moon 27.6.2 and below on Dec 27th 2017 (unclear if it continued for versions later than that date as well).

To re-iterate this is claimed to have not affected the downloads from their main (current) download but only downloads from archive.palemoon.org. Given some users sometimes seek out past versions of software in general for various reasons this is rather important to bring to attention.

webfork

#64 Post by webfork »

Specular wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:20 pm ... this is rather important to bring to attention.
Thanks for posting about that. It's not a sign that the project is ready for prime time.

Midas

#65 Post by Midas »

Pale Moon v28.6.0.1 released 2019-07-04 (changelog at http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml).

Regarding the Pale Moon archive malware attack, I wouldn't read too much into it. Attacks are getting to be relentless these days, and if giants like Microsoft and Amazon (as well as Firefox, for that matter) can be affected by them, so can the hobby project of any single guy you may find on the Internet.

Now, although this isn't specifically a Pale Moon only query, I have to post it somewhere, so here goes...

I'm having trouble documenting the present status of the main Firefox forks, i.e., Pale Moon, Cyberfox (viewtopic.php?t=20290; its development appears to have stalled about a year ago), and Waterfox (viewtopic.php?t=17674).

Apart from a ridiculously uninformed (and outdated) article from How To Geek -- totally out of character for what is usually a pretty reliable source (link below) -- not much is showing up in my radar in the guise of unbiased assessment of these, so I'm pitching it out to our little community here for some further insight. :?:

EDIT: after posting, found a more rounded overview. Still short of detail, though...

Midas

#66 Post by Midas »

Answering my own doubts, listing Wikipedia entries for these browsers will have to suffice for the time being.

BTW, here's a rather interesting graphic from the Firefox entry:

ashghost

#67 Post by ashghost »

Shouldn't the title of the database entry be simply "Pale Moon" instead of "Pale Moon Portable"?

Usually "__________ Portable" signifies a PortableApps release is the preferred portable version. Plenty of apps provide a portable installer for a portable version (Calibre is an example with a dedicated page to download the portable installer), but aren't listed as "______ Portable".

webfork

#68 Post by webfork »

ashghost wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:17 pm Shouldn't the title of the database entry be simply "Pale Moon" instead of "Pale Moon Portable"?
That's a good question and yes, normally PortableApps is usually " __ Portable," but naming is generally down to what the publisher calls it, and in this case it's "Pale Moon Portable" (https://www.palemoon.org/download.shtml ... e_versions) I think the only exception has been if there's naming overlap, as with Caesium.

Edit: ... and based on this thread viewtopic.php?p=69167#p69167 , I'd be very surprised if PA released their own version of Pale Moon.

webfork

#69 Post by webfork »

Thought I'd surface something from the Pale Moon entry comments care of Ennovy:
Ennovy wrote:Additional information regarding the situation at Pale Moon is available in Moonchild's posts:
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28006
and
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28044
From links:
Moon Child wrote:... we've had a severe outage due to foul play from one of the core developers abusing his trust and access to knock domain name resolution offline. We are also entirely without an add-ons site which means extensions, themes and language packs aren't available as normal. I'm doing my best to find a proper resolution for this and have halted the rollout for v30 for the moment.
I'm not a Pale Moon user but I definitely sympathize. I read (most of) the breakdown and it's unfortunate and vaguely familiar.

Midas

#70 Post by Midas »

I was just coming to do the same... :|

All of this is really bad news. Myself, I was even in the process of looking into Pale Moon -- which was once my default browser -- with the new milestone release and the direction Firefox development has taken of late, so it left me personally aggravated.

Side-note to the wise, never put all your eggs in a single basket -- remember the old LOCKSS ("Lots Of Copies Keep Stuff Safe")...

Midas

#71 Post by Midas »

Well, it seems Pale Moon release v30.x conundrum has been resolved with the release of v31.x (for details, see https://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes.shtml). 8)

A subtle difference between (7)zipped and "portable" (but not stealth, apparently) versions:
Thanks to winPenPack's X-launcher that the portable launcher is based on, is completely self-contained. Nothing is stored on the host computer; your bookmarks, passwords, history, downloads, etc. stay neatly where they belong: on your stick.

Note: these portables are not meant to have file/URL associations or integration with the desktop. Their settings cater specifically to use on multiple hosts, run from removable media. If you require desktop integration of any kind (including pinned taskbar entries, launching a mail application from mailto: links, remembering default download locations, etc.), it is recommended that you do not use Pale Moon Portable, but the normal desktop version instead.