Universal Extractor Update (Gora version)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
DougCuk

Re: Universal Extractor Update (Gora version)

#106 Post by DougCuk »

Thanks for that - now extracted OK
Using your example code I was able to use the cmd-prompt version of 7-Zip to extract
Using that method you do not see the Cyrillic characters displayed (just ???????) but it works

I had tried the -p"PASSWORD" method previously and failed
- I must have messed up on the syntax or failed to paste correct characters

I also tested the 7-Zip GUI route - where password alone (no quotes) - can be pasted when requested
- that way you can see the Cyrillic characters you paste and check it pasted OK
Many thanks for you time.

Userfriendly

#107 Post by Userfriendly »

webfork

#108 Post by webfork »

Userfriendly wrote:Last time he was here it didn't end well... after sorta being attacked for the source code.
Actually I went back through the thread and I wouldn’t describe it that way. He started by asking for help with translation and got help with UI and virus false-positive issues. After guinness asked for source code I offered a trade in exchange for help with translation, he decided it was an ultimatum. He indicated the license stuff doesn't apply in Russia and it would just result in fakes and viruses.

Even excluding all that, his lengthy break from the project and the addition of this password nonsense really makes me strain to imagine a future scenario where Gora’s tool makes sense as a standard for the site.

Userfriendly

#109 Post by Userfriendly »

What about koros version? AutoIt source is available and changelogs are made and updated frequently. Everything is russian but google translate does a good job translating to english.

I made a separate thread for it http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... =4&t=22394. It's probably a good idea to merge my posts from here http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... 787#p75787

I've found some installer's gora version can extract that koros can't and vice versa. I think it's handy to have both. The original version with just external binary updates just doesn't work for a lot of stuff anymore.

I'm not a stickler for source codes and licenses especially for a program which was essentially abandoned. I'm just glad someone took their own time to improve and update it.

But it is nice koros includes source for his build. I did compile it with one change and he was thoughtful enough to keep the code that uses UnRAR.exe to extract rar's instead of 7z.exe. Simply just had to uncomment it and remove/comment the 7z code. I always felt WinRAR extracts its own format faster.

webfork

#110 Post by webfork »

Userfriendly wrote:What about koros version? AutoIt source is available and changelogs are made and updated frequently. Everything is russian but google translate does a good job translating to english.
We'll need something accessible, easy, and well-maintained. The English translation site (via google translate) isn't terribly simple.
Userfriendly wrote:I'm not a stickler for source codes and licenses especially for a program which was essentially abandoned. I'm just glad someone took their own time to improve and update it.
It's not purely ideological: there are solid reasons (detailed earlier in this thread) behind sticking to an open program for this purpose.
Userfriendly wrote:Simply just had to uncomment it and remove/comment the 7z code. I always felt WinRAR extracts its own format faster.
I'd be surprised if the 7zip developer was using anything other than RAR's own free extraction code. It's certainly possible however that whatever 7z was using was just outdated or not compiled for recent processors.
Userfriendly wrote:It's probably a good idea to merge my posts
All set.

SYSTEM

#111 Post by SYSTEM »

webfork wrote:
Userfriendly wrote:Simply just had to uncomment it and remove/comment the 7z code. I always felt WinRAR extracts its own format faster.
I'd be surprised if the 7zip developer was using anything other than RAR's own free extraction code. It's certainly possible however that whatever 7z was using was just outdated or not compiled for recent processors.
In the thread you linked, there is a link to a post where Igor Pavlov mentions that 7-Zip has its own RAR extraction code: http://sourceforge.net/p/sevenzip/discu ... age=1#cd10
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Userfriendly

#112 Post by Userfriendly »

webfork

#113 Post by webfork »

SYSTEM wrote:In the thread you linked, there is a link to a post where Igor Pavlov mentions that 7-Zip has its own RAR extraction code
I didn't see that. It's weird that he would write his own, but maybe that's what makes him a good dev for compression tools.

SYSTEM

#114 Post by SYSTEM »

webfork wrote:
SYSTEM wrote:In the thread you linked, there is a link to a post where Igor Pavlov mentions that 7-Zip has its own RAR extraction code
I didn't see that. It's weird that he would write his own, but maybe that's what makes him a good dev for compression tools.
Igor explains why he does it: there is code that can be shared between decompression of multiple formats (such as the PPMd decompression algorithm). If he had simply copied UnRAR code, that code would be duplicated.

Duplicated code is considered a bad practice. For example, if a bug is found in duplicated code, it may have to be fixed in both copies. A proper developer avoids code duplication like the plague.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Userfriendly

#115 Post by Userfriendly »

Updated to v1.9.13.198. http://gora.7zsfx.info/addons/Universal ... 6_19-36.7z

Of course no changelog to be found anywhere but this version noticeably adds unshield.exe which extracts InstallShield .CAB files.

Userfriendly

#116 Post by Userfriendly »

Userfriendly

#117 Post by Userfriendly »

Userfriendly

#118 Post by Userfriendly »

Userfriendly

#119 Post by Userfriendly »

Userfriendly

#120 Post by Userfriendly »