Apache OpenOffice

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
JohnTHaller

Re: Apache OpenOffice 3.4

#46 Post by JohnTHaller »

SYSTEM wrote:BTW, that "someone" is Michael Meeks, one of the key developers of LibreOffice. So the comparison may be a bit biased.
He did base it on the published feature lists of both OpenOffice.org and LibreOffice. The simple fact is that LibreOffice has a very big headstart over OO.o, especially since they could bring in all the work Go-OO had done while OO.o can not due to licensing. That's why LibreOffice can read and write modern Microsoft Office formats while OO.o can not. It will be interesting to see how OO.o catches up in that respect and where they will pull code from.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

guinness

#47 Post by guinness »

JohnTHaller wrote: It will be interesting to see how OO.o catches up in that respect and where they will pull code from.
Actually, can they use code from LibreOffice?

SYSTEM

#48 Post by SYSTEM »

JohnTHaller wrote:
SYSTEM wrote:BTW, that "someone" is Michael Meeks, one of the key developers of LibreOffice. So the comparison may be a bit biased.
He did base it on the published feature lists of both OpenOffice.org and LibreOffice.
Correct. I just pointed out that he is not independent.
guinness wrote:
JohnTHaller wrote: It will be interesting to see how OO.o catches up in that respect and where they will pull code from.
Actually, can they use code from LibreOffice?
No, they can't. LGPL is not compatible with the Apache license.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

guinness

#49 Post by guinness »

No, they can't. LGPL is not compatible with the Apache license.
I don't know who's smarter, Apache or The Document Foundation.

JohnTHaller

#50 Post by JohnTHaller »

SYSTEM wrote:No, they can't. LGPL is not compatible with the Apache license.
Well, technically, they could take modules from LibreOffice and use them with Apache OpenOffice. The LGPL allows usage even with commercial code. But Apache has a philosophical aversion to the GPL and LGPL, so they won't. LibreOffice can take any OpenOffice.org code they want and suck it right in and still keep the whole thing LGPL.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

Midas

#51 Post by Midas »

Incidentally, a bit of related(?) history (and bile...), found on the Web:

«Boerries was a maniac. He'd built a word processing program called StarWriter as a 16 year-old kid, grew it into the StarOffice suite and sold it to Sun for $74 million in 1999. By 2004, he was running around Silicon Valley giving a demo that was literally making people gasp in wonder. He would walk into a room full of investors, pull out his crappy flip phone, and take a picture of the room. Then he'd pocket it, open his laptop and refresh the app running on his desktop. Suddenly, the visitors in the room would be confronted with their own skeptical faces. It was automatic. He then explained that he could do the same thing with any other type of data—emails, phone numbers, mp3s, whatever. Anything you did on the phone would be seamlessly reflected on the desktop, and vice versa. Basically, it was iCloud. Yahoo bought his company in 2005 for something in the neighborhood of $16 million, largely to buy Boerries. A month later, it would buy Flickr. Boerries was a genius, and, by all accounts, a nightmare to work with. One of the most frank depictions of this comes from Kellan Elliot-McCrea, Etsy's CTO who, in a past life, was the chief architect of Flickr. On Quora, he writes: "Marco Boerries was without a doubt one of the most viciously political, and disliked Yahoo! execs and he reigned for 4 years over the Yahoo "Connected Life" team which had universal control over all native mobile experiences within Yahoo."»

From http://gizmodo.com/5910223/how-yahoo-ki ... e-internet

webfork

#52 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote:Boerries was a maniac
Very interesting. Additionally, yet another article about how Yahoo was king and just yawned its way to irrelevance.

SYSTEM

#53 Post by SYSTEM »

webfork wrote:
Midas wrote:Boerries was a maniac
Very interesting.
Agreed.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

m^(2)

#54 Post by m^(2) »

I'm very excited about the release, have to get it soon. :)
Took some time.

Danix

X-ApacheOpenOffice

#55 Post by Danix »

[Moderator note: this is the primary Apache OpenOffice thread. View database entry]

----

Yesterday The Apache OpenOffice PPMC authorized the winPenPack portable version of Apache OpenOffice (details).
Therefore I am pleased to announce the release of X-ApacheOpenOffice 3.4.0 rev1. :)
For this first release we have provided a package that contains 5 languages (en-US, it, es, fr, de) and another that includes all available languages.

P.S.: @moderators/admins: perhaps I/You can submit a new entry directly to the TPFC database?

Danix

#56 Post by Danix »

winPenPack just released X-ApacheOpenOffice 3.4.0 rev1! ;)

webfork

Re: X-ApacheOpenOffice 3.4.0

#57 Post by webfork »

Sounds good. Updated entry.

lautrepay

Re: Apache OpenOffice 4.0

#58 Post by lautrepay »

lautrepay wrote:Apache OpenOffice will inherit the GUI of Lotus Symphony.
Process underway.

lautrepay

#59 Post by lautrepay »

@webfork: I think you edited my post instead of writing your own idem.

Anyway, Apache OpenOffice can be made natively portable the same way that LibreOffice.
Install -> Copy to another folder -> Uninstall -> Edit bootstrap.ini

webfork

#60 Post by webfork »

lautrepay wrote:@webfork: I think you edited my post instead of writing your own idem.
Wow, that was stupid. That will teach me to try doing things when I am unusually tired. Sorry about that.

Thanks for the answer and I did my best to switch the entry back. Here's my original question:
Apache OpenOffice will inherit the GUI of Lotus Symphony.
Can it be closed? I liked the bar in Symphony ok, but if memory serves, it was something you could collapse but not close. Softpedia's screenshots seem to suggest it's the same.

Anyway, looks also like we have an answer to "is there a portable version of Symphony" which will be great for a few IBM folks. The registry garbage associated with Symphony was quite large.