URL Snooper

Discuss anything related to portable commercial apps here.
Ennovy

Re: URL Snooper

#16 Post by Ennovy »

Midas wrote:
  • Besides SYSTEM's method, I think you can also just type "[#]" (without quotes) in the regular search field...
[#]url snooper worked. Thank you :D

webfork

#17 Post by webfork »

Old thread update:

Before you proceed, this program is still registerware meaning it doesn't qualify for the database. It also still requires admin and relies on WinPcap. With that in mind ...

So a new version came out back in November so I decided to give this a try. Unfortunately I am still learning Sandboxie so I didn't get a good registry analysis. It appears to be writing files to Settings.ini with a lot of other junk written to AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/WebCache

webfork

#18 Post by webfork »

I retested the Nov 2015 release of the portable ZIP.
synopsis wrote:URL Snooper was written to help users locate the urls of audio and video files so that they can be recorded. The goal of URL Snooper is to provide a one-stop easy solution to finding the URLs for all streams. It does this by watching network traffic and identifying potential urls, especially streaming media urls.

Many links to streaming audio and video that you come across on the web are hidden behind javascript or activex scripts. Because of this, it is sometimes very difficult to figure out the actual urls that correspond to the streams being played.
Steps: download and unzip, make a copy of ConfigDir_Default.ini and name it ConfigDir.ini. Run the included WinPcap_4_1_3.exe file. Run URLSnooper.exe

License: registerware/nagware (you have to register to stop the nag) for personal use only

Results: Portable, writing to Settings.ini

Stealth: no, writes lots of junk to to AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/WebCache

Requires: Admin (both WinPCap and URLSnooper), functional on all Windows versions through Win8.

__philippe

#19 Post by __philippe »

URL Snooper v2.42.01 Portable version released 03-MAY-2017

Changelog (Complete version history)
Ghacks original product review by Martin Brinkmann

Right, I know this DB entry is controversial on at leas two counts:

1. Nagware, unless you donate OR get a FREE license key from DonationCoder.com
  (besides, in WinXP, a mere click will dismiss the initial nag message for the session duration;
   in Win7, the nag message does not even reappear at all after 1st run Dismiss)

2. The portable version leaves one (innocuous) entry in the registry (WinXP/Win7)

However, I am sorely itching to upgrade URL Snooper current (undeserved) negative ratings and bring it out of its "Private cell" splendid isolation, on the following grounds:

URL Snooper really stands out among its rival "URL sniffing" utilities, by virtue of
  • its effectiveness at extracting streaming media URLs from live network traffic
  • its clean interface and simplicity of use,
  • its relatively modest footprint (7Mb).
  • its steady pace of update releases since 2001 (witness the above changelog).
Anyone who strongly objects to my forthcoming upvote of URLSnooper, please do tell :?:

And for those who do not object, please consider upvoting as well... :wink:
Last edited by __philippe on Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:26 am, edited 4 times in total.

__philippe

#20 Post by __philippe »

URL Snooper case study: "Discovering specific media URL".

This sample video (about submarine cable shore works), published by the Australian 9News TV broadcaster, can be viewed via on-line streaming

However, as is the case with most broadcasters' footage, attempting to download their precious streaming media is mostly futile,
since the "Save Video as" button, if at all present, will probably be greyed-out.

URL Snooper can help ferreting out the actual media file URL, which is deliberately obfuscated and usually buried deep down JavaScript code.

Prerequisites:

- hosting web site URL
- URL Snooper
- ffmpeg

Code: Select all

PROCEDURE

- Launch URL Snooper
- Select "Show All" in the "Protocol Filter" box
- Enter conditional string (such as "m3u8")* in "Must Contain" filter box
- Enter original web site's URL in bottom box "Manually scan an URL"
- Click bottom right button "Open in Browser"
- Click top "Sniff Network" button before video starts playing

URL Snooper will start capturing/displaying HTTP requests/responses matching above filter

- Single click on a likely record
- Right click and select "Copy selected URL to Clipboard"
Clipboard should now contain the required Streaming Video file download URL, namely in this case :
"http://c.brightcove.com/services/mobile ... 8484382001"

Notice that the media itself is hosted on a server different from the broadcaster's...;-)

Lastly, download the coveted video with good ole standby ffmpeg:

c:\>ffmpeg -i "captured URL" -c copy output.TS
Done !

(*) m3u8 is a typical signature tag for multimedia playlist, pointing to a download stream

PS Customary Disclaimer
The above example does not in anyway condone the illegal downloading of proprietary material - it is presented solely to illustrate the specific capabilities of URL Snooper

Midas

#21 Post by Midas »

Nice write up, my dear __Philippe, much appreciated. 8)

:idea: The ffmpeg part could be replaced some times with copipasta into 3D Youtube Downloader (which incidentally also relies on ffmpeg).
__philippe wrote:The portable version leaves one (innocuous) entry in the registry (WinXP/Win7)

Please, elaborate further on this, so at least a cleanup solution can be put in place.

And what about that WinPCap dependency? Doesn't that kill its portability?

__philippe

#22 Post by __philippe »

Hi Midas, long time no see... :)

Three issues in there:

1. ffmpeg vs GUI Video downloaders
Midas wrote:... :idea: The ffmpeg part could be replaced some times with copipasta into 3D Youtube Downloader ...
Grazie per il tuo suggerimento...;-)

I tried feeding my sample video URL to [url=ttps://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2888]YoutubePal[/url] (akin to 3DYoutubeDownloader(40MB), only much smaller (2MB)),
but no cigar, unfortunately: "!The Video URL format is invalid"

Besides, a blatant bias towards terse CLI makes me favour ffmpeg over any bloated GUI alternative(s) every time...;-)

And since you oblingigly pointed out:
Midas wrote:... 3D Youtube Downloader (which incidentally also relies on ffmpeg).
...Cut Out the Middleman , I'd say... :P

2. Registry key
Midas wrote: ....Please, elaborate further on this, so at least a cleanup solution can be put in place.
This is the URL Snooper Key found by Nirsoft RegScanner

RegistryKey                        Name         Type        Data                  Lenght  
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\TacOnlyOne	URLSnooper	REG_DWORD	0x004b054e (4916558)  4	
[/medium]
Fishing into URLsnooper.exe for the string "TacOnlyOne" yields:

C:\mytools\URLsnoop>strings urlsnooper.exe | grep -i taconlyone

TacOnlyOneForcedTermination
TacOnlyOne
TacOnlyOne
TacOnlyOne
TacOnlyOne
TacOnlyOne
TacOnlyOne
TacOnlyOne
@$xp$20Aconlyone@TacOnlyOne
@$xp$37Aconlyone@TacOnlyOneForcedTermination
@Aconlyone@TacOnlyOne@
@Aconlyone@TacOnlyOne@$bctr$qqrp18Classes@TComponent
@Aconlyone@TacOnlyOne@$bdtr$qqrv
@Aconlyone@TacOnlyOne@CloseFirstInstance$qqrv
@Aconlyone@TacOnlyOne@DoForceCloseApplication$qqrv
@Aconlyone@TacOnlyOne@IsAlreadyExists$qqrv
@Aconlyone@TacOnlyOne@Loaded$qqrv
@Aconlyone@TacOnlyOne@MessageHookProc$qqrr17Messages@TMessage
@Aconlyone@TacOnlyOne@SwitchToFirstInstance$qqrv
TacOnlyOne
[/medium]
Can anyone infer anything useful therefrom, and suggest a workaround in case the REG_DWORD "TacOnlyOne" key were to be deleted, for portability's sake ?

3. WinPCap
Midas wrote:And what about that WinPCap dependency? Doesn't that kill its portability?
"Network Sniffer" utilities inherently rely on some kind of Packet Capture drivers,
among which WinPCap is considered the industry-standard implementation (Developer's own word, mind you...)

Many of our treasured DB apps, notably those from the NirSoft's stable, do rely on WinPCap
That's good enough for me to warrant yet another teensy infringement to the local portability mantra when evaluating "network sniffers" suitability as DB candidates...;-)

Midas

#23 Post by Midas »

__philippe wrote:Cut Out the Middleman, I'd say... :P
  • I am all for it -- except that I'm a lazy old bugger, so I'd rather cut it down to a couple of clicks... :mrgreen:
__philippe wrote:2. Registry key

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\TacOnlyOne
[/medium]

Thank you for that. As it is, the simplest cleaning method would be merging a REG file with the following content:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\TacOnlyOne]
__philippe wrote:3. WinPCap
"Network Sniffer" utilities inherently rely on some kind of Packet Capture drivers

I see, so that's a positive for me... :|

__philippe

#24 Post by __philippe »

@Midas

Thanks for your pertinent comments, which I venture to construe as tacit approval for re-instating URL Snooper... :mrgreen:

Would you then consider upvoting ?...;-)

Midas

#25 Post by Midas »

I am sorry, my dear _philippe, we seem to have gotten ourselves in a little misunderstanding here. Although I haven't tested URL Snooper, I agree that it is a unique and needed program. Alas, the fact it needs a driver to be installed and that this isn't done dynamically -- as WinCDEmu does, for instance -- positively places it in the non-portable field for me... :o

__philippe

#26 Post by __philippe »

My dear Midas,

We do indeed have a little misunderstanding...about WinPcap driver "installation" requirement.

This driver, (if not already present on your platform) is installed dynamically by URL Snooper (from its distro package);
No need to worry your pretty mind about no separate manual install... :wink:

Please also consider:
All the Nirsoft networking apps, which also require WinPcap driver,
(not even included in their package, hence requiring at least one initial manual installation), are currently deemed OK for inclusion in the DB.

Why, then, wouldn't URL Snooper be considered OK for the DB just as well ?

Inquiring mind wants to know... :roll:

Midas

#27 Post by Midas »

I wouldn't know, since I'm not a user of any the mentioned programs, as you can easily check -- but that serves me well, nonetheless, for blabbing about software I haven't tested. Back to you later, after I do it more thoroughly... :oops:

__philippe

#28 Post by __philippe »

You know the old saw: Fault confessed, half redressed...;-)

Waiting with bated breath for your forthcoming tests outcome ... Image

webfork

#29 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote:Nice write up, my dear __Philippe, much appreciated.
I'm a bit slow to respond here but I agree with Midas. I always love seeing software analysis that acutally shows the software solving a problem. Well done.

__philippe

#30 Post by __philippe »

Thanks, webfork.

Perfect rejoinder to flaunt my URL Snooper pet-peeve, once again : :mrgreen:

Why not join me to try and rescue URL Snooper from its current splendid "Private" isolation ?
(please consider rationale expounded above, ad-nauseum... :roll: )

Combining webfork's vote, Midas'...and other fellow supporters' votes,
URL Snooper's hidden entry is well on its way to be born again, phoenix-like, boldly visible for all to discover anew !

(petty electoral votes tally, current and projected, as of 06-SEP-17: +8+5+5 = 18... :wink: )
Cheers to: bzl333, Ennovy, joby_toss... :D