Color quantizer

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
I am Baas

Color quantizer

#1 Post by I am Baas »

Color quantizer is a small program to allow you to easily optimize images for the web. Features:

- Converting to an arbitrary number of colors
- Support for recording png8 with transparency
- Opportunity to set a mask for the quality of important sites
- Convenient editing of the color
- Automatic selection of optimal parameters for PNGOUT
- Batch optimization
http://x128.ho.ua/color-quantizer.html (Russian)

Version tested: 0.6.0.8 (standalone .exe)
Settings: options.ini in AppData\Roaming\Color quantizer

There are a few other small tools by this developer but I have not tested for portability:

1. BConv is for batch conversion of image files to JPEG while preserving the directory structure. Supported formats:

TIFF images (*.tif; *.tiff), GFI fax images (*. fax), SGI images (*. bw, *. rgb, *. rgba, *. sgi), Autodesk images files (*.cel; *.pic), Truevision images (*.tga; *.vst; *.icb; *.vda; *.win), ZSoft Paintbrush images (*.pcx, *.pcc), Word 5.x screen capture files (*.scr), Kodak Photo-CD images (*.pcd), Portable pixel/gray map images (*.ppm, *.pgm, *.pbm), Dr. Halo images (*.cut, *.pal), CompuServe images (*. gif), SGI Wavefront images (*.rla, *.rpf), Standard Windows bitmap images (*.bmp, *.rle, *.dib), Photoshop images (*. psd, *. pdd), Paintshop Pro images (*.psp), Portable network graphic images (*.png)

http://x128.ho.ua/bconv.html

2. PNGKT for removal of transparent pixels.
3. TruePNG - PNG optimizer

x128.ho.ua/pngutils.html

smaragdus

Re: Color quantizer & TruePNG

#2 Post by smaragdus »

Color quantizer at version 0.7.0.4 and still not portable.

direct download links
Color quantizer 0.6.5.0
Color quantizer 0.7.0.4

BConv is no longer available, the page can be viewed at the internet archive.

TruePNG at version 0.6.2.2, direct download link and a detailed review.

webfork

Re: Color quantizer

#3 Post by webfork »

Very interesting program. The ability to cut down on colors helps pull out the primary color types. This can be really useful for logos or icons where you want to grab a few thematic colors. Alternately, you might think of it as if RIOT's color limiter, but with a listing of those available.

I couldn't figure out some of the included tools and you can't undo some operations, which is annoying. It really needs a help file or HOWTO.

Here's the home page translation (not much more detail).