UltraSearch

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
webfork

Re: UltraSearch

#16 Post by webfork »

Also, the zip version comes with an empty Settings.xml file so it's even more portable friendly.

Unfortunately, there's now an advertisement for TreeSize professional that prevents the window from being resized horizontally to less than 1024 pixels. Bit of a downgrade.

smaragdus

#17 Post by smaragdus »

After version 1.4.1.92 UltraSearch showed a ugly banner which prevented me from using it and which has been removed in version 2.1.0.368:
- The advertising banner has been removed.
Full Change Log.

This is nice, I hope that more developers will understand that the best advertisement for their commercial products is the quality of their free products.

Now I can use UltraSearch and I also up-voted it.

smaragdus

#18 Post by smaragdus »

I removed UltraSearch from my favourites because of a tiny but quite annoying bug which prevents me from using it. I contacted the developer but I didn't get a response. Today I saw there was a new version, I tested it and the bug persisted.

webfork

Re: UltraSearch Free

#19 Post by webfork »

A few notes about the current UltraSearch Free:
  • The program is only available in 64-bit version. If anyone has access to a 32-bit version, please post. The last version I have on my machine is v1.4. Does anyone have a more recent 32-bit copy?
  • The program now allows searching of the interior of files, including office and compressed files like ZIP. This just jumped to the top of of my available search tools. Wonderful news.
  • Reflecting recent changes (news to me anyway), I did a rewrite of the entry and will try to revamp the screenshot as well.

webfork

#20 Post by webfork »

As DocFetcher seems to be having issues, I've been trying to make a go of UltraSearch and it's content search feature. I still prefer Everything for its ease of search, but the ability to search inside office file types is hard to beat and I'm trying to avoid multiple, overlapping tools running at once.

If anyone has a suggestion about how to make UltraSearch handle search fragments (e.g. read me will show read.me in Everything but not Ultrasearch), please let me know.

freakazoid

#21 Post by freakazoid »

webfork wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:19 pm but the ability to search inside office file types is hard to beat and I'm trying to avoid multiple, overlapping tools running at once.
I use HDDB for searching file names. For searching inside content, I use SearchMyFiles. Results are not immediate, but the program is lightweight.
is it stealth? ;)

webfork

#22 Post by webfork »

freakazoid wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:26 pm For searching inside content, I use SearchMyFiles. Results are not immediate, but the program is lightweight.
Yeah now that I think about it, that might do the trick for what I'm looking for. Previously I was doing research on a huge file list so I was keen to find something indexed, but that's not the case right now.

webfork

#23 Post by webfork »

Version 3.2 came out on 2021-12-08

Highlighting my favorite new addition from the changelog, which should open the program up to use beyond those who don't have admin access or want to run at a lower security level:

Changes:
  • Added keyboard navigation to the Query Composer.
  • The options for selecting items in the result list have been moved from the "View" tab to the "Operations" tab.
  • The option to display buttons for manually starting and stopping a search has been renamed to "Show search buttons".
  • Using the command line parameter /NOADMIN, UltraSearch can be started without administrator rights.
  • When using the file content search, a message is now displayed if the components required for the content search in Office files are not installed on the system.[/indent]

https://www.jam-software.com/ultrasearc ... nges.shtml

webfork

#24 Post by webfork »

webfork wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:42 pm Version 3.2 came out on 2021-12-08

Highlighting my favorite new addition from the changelog, which should open the program up to use beyond those who don't have admin access or want to run at a lower security level:

Changes:
  • Added keyboard navigation to the Query Composer.
  • The options for selecting items in the result list have been moved from the "View" tab to the "Operations" tab.
  • The option to display buttons for manually starting and stopping a search has been renamed to "Show search buttons".
  • Using the command line parameter /NOADMIN, UltraSearch can be started without administrator rights.
  • When using the file content search, a message is now displayed if the components required for the content search in Office files are not installed on the system.[/indent]

https://www.jam-software.com/ultrasearc ... nges.shtml
EDIT: The NOADMIN option makes the program significantly slower, as it doesn't have access to the Windows NTFS tables feature that provides rapid filename listings. It's still plenty fast in my testing and shouldn't be an issue if you're looking at less than 100,000 files.