Audacity - multi-track audio editor

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.

Replace Portable Audacity with the Portableapps.com version?

Poll ended at Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:03 pm

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 5

freakazoid

Re: Audacity - multi-track audio editor

#31 Post by freakazoid »

I needed to load Audacity with ffmpeg, but wanted to keep ffmpeg in its own directory.

You can do this by setting the following relative path for ffmpeg in audacity.cfg:

Code: Select all

[FFmpeg]
Enabled=1
FFmpegLibPath=.\\Portable Settings\\ffmpeg\\avformat-55.dll
With the above, you should download ffmpeg into the Portable Settings\ffmpeg\ directory. This is if you're using Audacity's native portable mode. If you're using the PortableApps.com version of Audacity, you'll need to re-adjust the FFmpegLibPath variable to suit your filepath.
Last edited by freakazoid on Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
is it stealth? ;)

juverax

#32 Post by juverax »

Current considerations on the future of Audacity (fork?), and see the comments:
https://www.theregister.com/2021/05/27/audacity_cla/

webfork

#33 Post by webfork »

juverax wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:55 am Current considerations on the future of Audacity (fork?), and see the comments:
https://www.theregister.com/2021/05/27/audacity_cla/
I know a few people that were looking at the reaction to a telemetry addition: https://www.techradar.com/news/audacity ... ser-revolt

Audacity has been an incredible project for a lot of years. I'm sad to see that some sponsorship of a great project is going so poorly.

Midas

#34 Post by Midas »

Here's the first I saw regarding the matter:
While there’s no question that Muse Group bungled things pretty badly here and got started on the wrong foot, it seems they’re looking to make it right and give the community the respect it deserves.

Midas

#35 Post by Midas »

Topic update: Audacity v3.1.3 released (changelogs at wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Category:Release_Notes).

Also a quick post to state my general agreement with webfork (cf. www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1463#comment31708) regarding mentioning premium versions of free software -- if nothing else, at least rooted in an information freedom principle: while TPFC is devoted to promoting free software, I don't think it should keep mum bout the existence of commercial counterparts.

Plus and in the long term, I consider this may affect the willingness of commercial outfits to release free versions as well: nomem est omen (usually used in a different context...).

Andrew Lee

#36 Post by Andrew Lee »

In principle, I agree with that position.

At the very least, through discussion, we can figure out the best tool to use. For me personally, I have always preferred open-source over freeware over freemium, but sometimes freemium might simply be the best tool for the job.

freakazoid

#37 Post by freakazoid »

Midas wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:43 am Also a quick post to state my general agreement with webfork (cf. www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1463#comment31708) regarding mentioning premium versions of free software -- if nothing else, at least rooted in an information freedom principle: while TPFC is devoted to promoting free software, I don't think it should keep mum bout the existence of commercial counterparts.

Plus and in the long term, I consider this may affect the willingness of commercial outfits to release free versions as well: nomem est omen (usually used in a different context...).
Feel free to revert the FreeOffice description edit. It's not about withholding information about the existence of premium software. I think most users are intelligent enough to know if a piece of software is feature-limited and if they are interested in the premium features, they can visit the software's website themselves for more info.
is it stealth? ;)

Midas

#38 Post by Midas »

Keeping up with the trend of moving popular software into a browser environment, here's an entry for Audacity: https://wavacity.com/...
Wavacity project by [Adam Hilss] [...] managed to get it working with WebAssembly (WASM) so you can run it in your browser. Impressively, it even works on mobile devices. Though the Audacity UI, which already carries the sort of baggage you’d expect from a program that’s more than 20 years old, is hardly suited to a touch screen.

Andrew Lee

#39 Post by Andrew Lee »

Midas wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:31 am Keeping up with the trend of moving popular software into a browser environment, here's an entry for Audacity: https://wavacity.com/...
Tried it on a small project that I have.. works really well!