Simple Family Tree

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Midas

Re: Simple Family Tree

#16 Post by Midas »

d(^‿^)b

Ty, Baas -- just testing this, please move along...

horizontal smiley

webfork

#17 Post by webfork »

I am Baas wrote:☆*・゜゚・* (•‿•) *・゜゚・*☆
lol

jackpoorer

#18 Post by jackpoorer »

How to add brothers/sisters or move to one existing within the tree?
How to visually display the whole tree instead of either a relative one or a list? Is there a program that can do that in the edit window to see the whole thing and just zoom/edit?

Cornflower

#19 Post by Cornflower »

Adding siblings requires a parent. I have added "Unknown father /surname/" and "unknown mother /surname/" in such cases as placeholders. Some other programs or sites do allow sibling addition and then automatically add the "unknown"s in themselves, but it amounts to just about the same thing.

As far as I known, genealogy programs require a point to move up from or down to visually, so if I start from myself, I see ancestors in all directions, but if I take for example my mother's mother's mother as a starting point, that visual representation going down will include my mother and father, but not my father's parents. To give an extreme case, my grandmother and her sister married first cousins, after looking at the lineages to keep from inbreeding too closely (Mennonites kept good records to keep from marrying outside the faith). So I have a relative who is both a second and a third cousin. This is very difficult to show visually on the same scrollable chart.

Simple Family Tree is my goto program when I am not on MyHeritage, and edits very quickly and easily. Quick scrolling works very fast,

Check out the other programs here https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?sc=158
and as they all use the same gedcom as does Simple Family Tree, they can be used interchangeably.