Opera [Chrome based browser]

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
guinness

Re: Is Opera 15 standard portable or not ?

#16 Post by guinness »

Instead of 2 release cycles, they have 3. Quite similar to Firefox's approach.

Source: http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/op ... ease-cycle

joby_toss

#17 Post by joby_toss »

You know what? My IE is looking better and better with each day that goes by. I think it's going to be the best solution soon (as sad as this sounds). Hell, I even paid for it! :roll:

guinness

#19 Post by guinness »

I think at this early time we all need to place our trust in Opera :mrgreen:

freakazoid

#20 Post by freakazoid »

Opera 15 is going to be basic, but they're working on porting over their features.

Check out a blog post from one of Opera's QA testers for more info:
http://my.opera.com/haavard/blog/2013/0 ... p3-missing

I'm sticking with Pale Moon. I've basically duplicated my old Opera setup and then some.
is it stealth? ;)

webfork

#21 Post by webfork »

joby_toss wrote:You know what? My IE is looking better and better with each day that goes by. I think it's going to be the best solution soon (as sad as this sounds). Hell, I even paid for it! :roll:
Ha! I was surprised to see that most of the reviews for v.10 are pretty good:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407699,00.asp
http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/window ... 8117.shtml

Still, while the hardware acceleration is nice (if your system supports it) but I really can't see any other reason to use it. Further, the inability to run on other operating systems (even XP) and painful history with previous versions of the browser make me wonder who could possibly care. All that in mind, everyone where I work still mysteriously uses it.

SYSTEM

#22 Post by SYSTEM »

webfork wrote: Ha! I was surprised to see that most of the reviews for v.10 are pretty good:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407699,00.asp
Sigh. This review is really bad.
Michael Muchmore wrote: But that score isn't the whole story. Far from it. HTML5Test.com merely checks that the feature is recognized, not whether it's correctly implemented.
The author of html5test.com has banned browsers that have claimed to support certain features but haven't actually supported them. Most notably, in July 2012 he banned Maxthon.

Michael shouldn't suggest that web browsers other than Internet Explorer claim to support features which aren't "correctly implemented".
Michael Muchmore wrote: Though it's often stated that Chrome and Firefox are ahead of IE in HTML5 support, some of the test drive demos show that those browsers haven't yet implemented every capability. One example is Touch Events, which lets a webpage respond to gestures.
First, IE Test Drive is an Internet Explorer marketing site. Of course it only contains demos that work with IE!

Second, as html5test.com shows, IE hasn't implemented every capability either. (In addition, even having full 500 points in html5test.com and passing all demos in IE Test Drive wouldn't mean having every capability.)

Chrome and Firefox are much ahead of IE in HTML5 support. While html5test.com is not objective, it's independent and therefore I trust it.

----

On the performance testing page, Michael only ran tests that belong to browser vendors. SunSpider belongs to Apple, Octane to Google, Kraken to Mozilla and IE Test Drive tests to Microsoft. I think the most trustworthy browser performance test is Futuremark's Peacekeeper, because it's independent.

In particular, I don't trust IE Test Drive results at all. I believe Microsoft knowingly tests things which are fast in Internet Explorer in order to make IE look faster than it actually is.
Michael Muchmore wrote: The title of a recent blog post by our security guru Neil Rubenking pretty much tells the story when it comes to security in IE10: Windows 8's Internet Explorer 10 Reigns Supreme in Browser Safety Test. IE continues to protect you against nefarious downloads, with its SmartScreen. The technology uses “download reputation” ratings to let you know which downloads are reliable. In a test by NSS Labs, its Internet Explorer 10 browser detected and blocked over 99 percent of malicious downloads without any help from a third-party antivirus program.
Emphasis added.

NSS Labs is the same company that made this "test".
Michael Muchmore wrote: Another protection is that Internet Explorer Plugins run in sandboxes to prevent access to the rest of the system.
Google Chrome has sandboxing as well.
Michael Muchmore wrote: IE9 introduced Tracking Protection in late 2010, to block third-party websites that you never intended to visit from collecting your browsing history and building a profile on you. Soon after this, Mozilla came out with the Do Not Track, system which simply sends a small bit of text to website asking them not to allow tracking of you. When Microsoft announced that in IE10, Do Not Track would be turned on by default, the web ad business threw conniption fits, even though research had told Microsoft that 75 percent of users wanted the protection turned on by default.
First, Do Not Track is not protection. As you probably know, it just sends websites a header that means "please don't track me".

Second, Do Not Track is fully voluntary. Advertisers are not obligated to respect it.

If DNT is enabled by default in a web browser that has a market share of 28 percent, the best case it that advertisers will ignore the DNT header if the said browser sends it. The worst case is that they will ignore the DNT header no matter which browser sends it.

Third, Microsoft itself spies Internet Explorer users. Quoting IE8's privacy statement (emphasis added):
SmartScreen Filter is designed to help warn you about unsafe websites that are impersonating trusted websites (phishing) or contain threats to your computer. If you opt in to SmartScreen Filter, it first checks the address of the website you are visiting against a list of high traffic website addresses stored on your computer that are believed by Microsoft to be legitimate. Addresses that are not on the local list and the addresses of files you are downloading will be sent to Microsoft and checked against a frequently updated list of websites and downloads that have been reported to Microsoft as unsafe or suspicious. You may also choose to use SmartScreen Filter manually to verify individual sites with Microsoft.
And yes, SmartScreen Filter is enabled by default. (It's the very feature Michael praised on the same page for malware protection!)

I believe Microsoft simply abuses DNT's name here.

These "Express settings" will allow Windows 8 to send all kinds of information to Microsoft. But hey, look! These settings will enable Do Not Track in Internet Explorer! They will keep Microsoft from tracking which sites I browse with IE! (In reality, at best it keeps every company but Microsoft from tracking.)

Probably the worst browser review I have ever read...
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

tproli

#23 Post by tproli »

I'm just trying the new Blink-based Opera and I like it. OK, many features are missing but it responds faster, Gmail doesn't suck and overall it feels better. I hope they soon bring back the features that made Opera the browser it was before, otherwise it will be just another Chrome.

joby_toss

#24 Post by joby_toss »

But off-course it's faster! I'm faster when I run naked, too!

Not yaC, but Chrompera.

tproli

#25 Post by tproli »

I'm faster when I run naked, too!
Just tried that too. No success :)

joby_toss

#26 Post by joby_toss »

Just keep practicing! Works for me! :D

webfork

#27 Post by webfork »

SYSTEM wrote:Sigh. This review is really bad.
Thanks for the breakdown. In related news, I found another pro-IE article over at Softpedia article that IE "skyrockets" over Chrome. I went to the Netmarketshare.com site and found the numbers have barely changed month to month since the beginning of 2013. In fact, since January, Chrome has gone down less than a 2 percentage points and IE only shows an increase of less than 1%. It's not that I wouldn't use the word "skyrocket" I wouldn't write the article as the shift is neither important nor interesting; month to month changes due to increase or decrease in marketing and appearance of a new version are expected and do not indicate a trend. Just back up to May of 2012 year and you can see the IE line is almost flat.

More pertinent to the thread, it was nice to see that Opera's numbers are stable since the start of the year, in fact getting a slight bump since the new engine announcement.

freakazoid

#28 Post by freakazoid »

is it stealth? ;)

carbonize

#29 Post by carbonize »

freakazoid wrote:Opera Mail official release:
http://my.opera.com/chooseopera/blog/20 ... opera-mail
But is it portable ;)

guinness

#30 Post by guinness »

As Portable as Opera is.