I'm willing to collabrate...

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
Amerisphere

I'm willing to collabrate...

#1 Post by Amerisphere »

I'm willing to collaborate w/someone that is willing to help with a portable program I have created. I've made a .paf but haven't submitted it to PortableApps.com. The program still needs
some fixes and improvements. Source Code extension is .Pub,Whomever is interested in sharing
thier knowledge, I'm willing to provide the link to the .Paf w/Code.

I will reply to your reply as soon as time allows...
Thank You
Amerisphere

And as far as I know now, the program in question only works on XP.

webfork

Re: I'm willing to collabrate...

#2 Post by webfork »

Amerisphere wrote:I'm willing to collaborate w/someone that is willing to help with a portable program I have created.
I'm a little confused why you didn't just post the software, code, and a synopsis of what it does.

To gain collaboration on a project, I recommend:

* Releasing it under and open license and posting the code to something like Google Code or SourceForge so that contributors know their effort isn't going to something that will eventually go commercial
* Having a regular project release schedule so people anticipate your work and will contact you if they don't see any activity
* Most of all, it must scratch an itch or solve a problem

This does not guarantee involvement, but it might help.

Amerisphere

Re:Explaining_ I'm willing to collabrate...

#3 Post by Amerisphere »

I haven't posted the link or the code due to, I'm not willing to have the program or its concept used in someone Else's name. I was thinking I could get to know any willing party before I shared.
After reading your advice, I'm guessing I have no choice, but to release it in the Open source community.
"Or Not". The program I have is called WinTrol and as far as I know it only works on XP,(kind of late since XP is losing support in 2014) I wouldn't say it solves any problems, but it does utilize XP Control Panel, services and more.WinTrol can also launch a program the user adds to any menu button.

Thanks for the advice.
http://www.mediafire.com/?mvm2a2wjw5myhnj
Link to program above_without code / It is safe_scanned w/SpybotSnD, AVG, and AntiSpyware.

What I would like to see is WinTrol adapted to Win7.
Any more advice?
Thank you

webfork

Re: Finding collaboration on a software project

#4 Post by webfork »

Amerisphere wrote:I haven't posted the link or the code due to, I'm not willing to have the program or its concept used in someone Else's name. I was thinking I could get to know any willing party before I shared.
Your status as owner doesn't go away just because you open up the code. Open licensed software still falls under copyright and there is a great deal of effort to make sure developers are honest about where they got the code from. For example, a thread over on PortableApps shows just how strong this attitude carries, even for a terrific program that the community really needed. PortableFreeware also had a recent episode where a freeware developer tried to pass off other's software as his own (since deleted here on the site but there's a Google cache).
Amerisphere wrote:After reading your advice, I'm guessing I have no choice, but to release it in the Open source community.
From experience, its hard to find collaborators for any project, even something you expect people would be very interested in. Its a question of who has the knowledge, desire, and time. However, there are some notable success stories out there such as Linux and Mozilla that have transformed the industry. For help in finding and maintaining collaboration in open projects, you might want to look into The Cathedral and the Bazaar, which has a very optimistic view of open source software, but is useful.

That doesn't mean you have no choice in the matter. However, an open license can foster an attitude of co-ownership that can encourage collaboration. If you don't have money to fund an operation or the raw charisma to draw people, an open license can assure users you're here to stay.
Amerisphere wrote:I wouldn't say it solves any problems, but it does utilize XP Control Panel, services and more.WinTrol can also launch a program the user adds to any menu button.
Huh?

SYSTEM

#5 Post by SYSTEM »

I googled "WinTrol 4.1.2". The program seems to have official homepage already.

http://realmfreewaredome.4t.com/index_1.html

http://realmfreewaredome.4t.com/custom4_1.html (the download link is identical!)
webfork wrote:
Amerisphere wrote:I haven't posted the link or the code due to, I'm not willing to have the program or its concept used in someone Else's name. I was thinking I could get to know any willing party before I shared.
Your status as owner doesn't go away just because you open up the code. Open licensed software still falls under copyright and there is a great deal of effort to make sure developers are honest about where they got the code from.
I think Amerisphere might like Original BSD license. It features so-called advertising clause which was later removed due to GPL incompatibility.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Amerisphere

#6 Post by Amerisphere »

I've been away, hence sorry took so long to reply. I don't know what I'm going to do about WinTrol 412.
XP is fading out and so far WinTrol 412 only works with XP "OS". I'm so behind on MS "OS's" its depressing.
Thanks for all your help.

The web site is mine, the one you googled!
PS. didn't like The Cathedral and the Bazaar, Thanks again...

SYSTEM

#7 Post by SYSTEM »

I agree with webfork:
webfork wrote: From experience, its hard to find collaborators for any project, even something you expect people would be very interested in.
Amerisphere, don't expect that you'll gain collaboration. :(
Amerisphere wrote:I don't know what I'm going to do about WinTrol 412.
XP is fading out and so far WinTrol 412 only works with XP "OS". I'm so behind on MS "OS's" its depressing.
Thanks for all your help.
You're not required to do anything. Just calm down, continue improving WinTrol and watch what happens. Or terminate the development. Or publish the source code. The choice is yours. ;)
Amerisphere wrote:The web site is mine, the one you googled!
I didn't claim it would belong to someone else. :)
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020