FINALLY: .NET 2.0 Portable

Any other tech-related topics
AyrA

Re: FINALLY: .NET 2.0 Portable

#16 Post by AyrA »

I have not used a package, that installs itself. Did you compare the EULA I posted here and the one on the Redistributable, I am pretty sure there are differences

AyrA

#17 Post by AyrA »

Another Note: with the standard redistributable you can actually only extract the Files. Call the Setup this way: dotnetfx.exe /T:<X> /C where <X> is an empty Folder (full path required, do not use spaces in folder names as it complicates stuff) I do not get further here with the extraction process but you can extract the .msi Packages as well without installation
Now you have a Folder with installers and a bunch of text Files. Choose the one with your Language (1033 for US-EN) and read it.
Oh Noez! it looks like the same EULA I posted.

I am pretty sure the attempts made already to make .NET 2.0 portable failed because they altered the .NET Binaries. I am not altering the Binary Files.

rokth

#18 Post by rokth »

Can you do a quick write on on how other users can roll their own portable .net 2.0? I saw some of what you mentioned in the previous post but if you'd be so kind, could you please share? I'm rather fascinated by this release. It reminds me of when I rolled my own portable java six years ago.

AyrA

#19 Post by AyrA »

You can do it this Way:
Note: it needs advanced programming skills
You need to intercept WINAPI Calls, see an Example Here: http://www.codeproject.com/KB/system/hooksys.aspx
Now all you have to do is to listen to the Registry and File System API Calls and modify them if needed.
If this Works, you need to Integrate all the .NET DLLs in your Application, and add the routines for your App to act as the Launcher,
then Your App launches whatever the User wants and intercepts calls from that App to any Function of .NET DLL Files to the ones you have integrated in your Launcher
--> You need to intercept calls made from the Integrated DLL Files too.

As you see, this is a huge and difficult Project, but seems to work with most applications.
It is definitely not recommended to do it this way if another Method for making something portable is available
As you probably noticed, this is a simple Sandboxing Application.

stfly

#20 Post by stfly »

To heck with legality, you are a genius and have made my month. Now I just gotta try it to see if it works :) (got excited, had to comment right away)

guinness

#21 Post by guinness »

To heck with legality.
So you wouldn't mind if someone came into your home and started stealing from you?

I just believe honesty and fairness will get you far in life!

webfork

#22 Post by webfork »

guinness wrote:
To heck with legality.
So you wouldn't mind if someone came into your home and started stealing from you?
Its really more about honesty. I really don't think making Portable dotNet is stealing, but when you say "I agree" to the EULA, whether you like Microsoft and their policies or not, you're making a promise. If you don't like legal documents and complex licenses, that's pretty much an invitation to develop software with something other than Microsoft's tools. (This is why I generally avoid dotNET software.)

Its about intention. There's a difference between saying:
  • We're not lawyers and we don't know how to react to the specifics of the license in this case

and
  • We don't give a #$%@ about legal things.
We do care, because we will and do moderate/delete posts that are obviously illegal (e.g. how to pirate software and using other software as a front-end to yours).
Last edited by webfork on Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: (clarity)

AyrA

#23 Post by AyrA »

a simple Question: Who has ever really readed those 20 Pages EULAs when checking the "I have read and accept" box.
And you really can't call this as stealing, because if i "stole" the .NET Framework Microsoft would not have it anymore. I just copied it.

guinness

#24 Post by guinness »

And you really can't call this as stealing, because if i "stole" the .NET Framework Microsoft would not have it anymore.
I take it this was a joke?

Lets step away from the .NET Framework for a second and look at if you were to create an application that explicitly said (in License terminology) "DO NOT REDISTRIBUTE WITHOUT PRIOR CONSENT AND/OR SELL FOR PROFIT." Imagine then if someone was to go against your terms and conditions, wouldn't you feel annoyed, angry that someone had literally violated your wishes for using your product. Wouldn't you feel they had stolen from you as they were gaining profit from your hard work?!

m^(2)

#25 Post by m^(2) »

guinness wrote:
And you really can't call this as stealing, because if i "stole" the .NET Framework Microsoft would not have it anymore.
I take it this was a joke?

Lets step away from the .NET Framework for a second and look at if you were to create an application that explicitly said (in License terminology) "DO NOT REDISTRIBUTE WITHOUT PRIOR CONSENT AND/OR SELL FOR PROFIT." Imagine then if someone was to go against your terms and conditions, wouldn't you feel annoyed, angry that someone had literally violated your wishes for using your product. Wouldn't you feel they had stolen from you as they were gaining profit from your hard work?!
No. I would be angry that they use it not the way I like. And at the same time happy that they want to use it at all.
Use of something abundant w/out permission is not stealing.

AyrA

#26 Post by AyrA »

"DO NOT REDISTRIBUTE WITHOUT PRIOR CONSENT AND/OR SELL FOR PROFIT."
Nope. As soon as you make something that can in any way made available on the internet, someone does it.
Today you can't expect people to give a damn about your license terms because nobody reads them.

guinness

#27 Post by guinness »

Good Luck! In this day and age Internet ignorance isn't an excuse, considering most understand what a EULA is and the consequences or breaking it. I am dropping the subject as I appear to be wasting my breath.

AyrA

#28 Post by AyrA »

One user done, one more to go...

guinness

#29 Post by guinness »

One user done, one more to go...
How juvenile! I suggest you find another forum if you want to play silly games.

AyrA

#30 Post by AyrA »

I just find it interesting that people tell me the Portable is against the EULA but nobody has ever pointet to the location in the eula that does not permits you to redistribute the unmodified DLL Files from the .NET
guinness wrote:...I am dropping the subject as I appear to be wasting my breath.
Looks like you have not dropped it yet.