JPEGView

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
infimum

JPEGView

#1 Post by infimum » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:17 am

Added to the database.
http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1749

It's a very lean image viewer.

webfork

Re: JPEGView

#2 Post by webfork » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:09 am

1.0.24 is out ... changes:

Bugs fixed:
· Navigation panel not truncated when window is small, instead the buttons are smaller. Tooltip texts are also no longer truncated in small windows. Modification date displayed with correct time zone adjustment

New features:
· Portuguese translation
· New windowed mode that fits window size to image size, avoiding black borders. Enable in INI file using: DefaultWindowRect=image
· New auto full screen mode that starts JPEGView in fullscreen mode when the image is larger than the screen or in windowed mode (window fit to image) when the image is small enough to fit to the screen.
· Enable in INI file using: ShowFullScreen=auto Note: This is the new default value in the INI file.

Changed behaviour:
· In the EXIF display (F2), the file name is broken into multiple lines when it is very long
· F11 key is now used for toggling full screen (used to be Ctrl-W). Navigation panel visibility now uses Ctrl-N (instead of F11)
· If the first image shown is smaller than the screen, JPEGView now...
Supporting Net Neutrality - BattleForTheNet | Why this matters | More from EFF.org

zandet2

#3 Post by zandet2 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:12 am

Please note that JPEGView is not natively portable; to let the program save the settings into the program folder, and use it from an usb device, is necessary to modify the row n. 18 on the JPEGView.ini, putting
StoreToEXEPath=true
otherwise, the settings and the db files will be saved in "C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Application Data\JPEGView".

More informations can be found here: http://www.winpenpack.com/main/download.php?view.889

The JPEGView page should be updated to report this method implemented directly from the author.

best regards
zandet2

webfork

#4 Post by webfork » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:08 am

zandet2 wrote:Please note that JPEGView is not natively portable; to let the program save the settings into the program folder, and use it from an usb device, is necessary to modify the row n. 18 on the JPEGView.ini, putting
StoreToEXEPath=true
otherwise, the settings and the db files will be saved in "C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Application Data\JPEGView".

More informations can be found here: http://www.winpenpack.com/main/download.php?view.889

The JPEGView page should be updated to report this method implemented directly from the author.
I think I can see how this issue slipped past us. I tested this today and found on Win XP SP3 this happens when you select "edit user settings" rather than "edit global settings". Also, it didn't save the database file to the appdata folder. If someone doesn't use the "edit user settings" option, its still portable. Setting the item in row 18 to "true" grays out the "edit user settings" option.

I can't verify that Win 7 or Vista have behavior zandet2 points out, but even on XP someone could unknowingly or accidentally disable program portability, so I think its worth it to make a note. I'll go ahead and edit the entry.

Thanks for the heads-up, zandet2.
Supporting Net Neutrality - BattleForTheNet | Why this matters | More from EFF.org

ZioZione

#5 Post by ZioZione » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:31 am

Hi webfork,
webfork wrote:
zandet2 wrote:Please note that JPEGView is not natively portable; to let the program save the settings into the program folder, and use it from an usb device, is necessary to modify the row n. 18 on the JPEGView.ini, putting
StoreToEXEPath=true

I think I can see how this issue slipped past us. I tested this today and found on Win XP SP3 this happens when you select "edit user settings" rather than "edit global settings". Also, it didn't save the database file to the appdata folder. If someone doesn't use the "edit user settings" option, its still portable. Setting the item in row 18 to "true" grays out the "edit user settings" option.

I can't verify that Win 7 or Vista have behavior zandet2 points out, but even on XP someone could unknowingly or accidentally disable program portability, so I think its worth it to make a note. I'll go ahead and edit the entry.

Thanks for the heads-up, zandet2.
I don't exactly understand what you mean writing "this happens": what is "this", the not-portability issue?

Anyway, if this helps, I just tested JPEGView under Vista (Home Premium) and I confirm what described above by zandet2. Changing, first of all, the option "StoreToEXEPath" to "true", it grays out the "edit user settings", avoiding to select this option. But also selecting "Edit global settings", JPEGView still saves, by default, these settings under its own folder; the same happens saving the parameters Db. I cannot figure out how someone could disable program portability without editing the .ini file... or, of course, saving its settings outside of the program folder... :lol:
Thank you for editing the program entry, now is more clear what to do!
Best Regards
ZioZione

webfork

#6 Post by webfork » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:27 am

ZioZione wrote:
webfork wrote:I think I can see how this issue slipped past us.
I don't exactly understand what you mean writing "this happens": what is "this", the not-portability issue?
"This" = the issue zandet2 brought up.

webfork

#7 Post by webfork » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:14 pm

Finally got a chance to test this at length and definitely liking it. The description about how a regular photo editor will be needed less often is certainly the case. Still, I couldn't figure out how to make it do the slideshow function. It's mentioned in the config but ... anyway...

Wishlist:
  • This is my biggest issue: in windowed mode, I'd like to better control how the toolbar appears and disappears. Right now it seems to hover for much too long (sort of a distraction). If there was a way to either make it fade out quickly or only show up with a keypress, that would be ideal.
  • Ability to just have the window by itself, nothing loaded. I recognize there may be something in the config file for this, I might have missed it. I often paste copied images into a viewer program to save it, so this would be helpful
  • Optional disable image smoothing (Ghacks has a good explanation about why you'd want to, although their example uses Mozilla)
  • Ability to "select all" under default viewer item (workaround was to click the top item, press spacebar, and then the down key, then repeat spacebar, down key, spacebar, downkey for all entries.

webfork

#8 Post by webfork » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:46 pm

I just retested JPEGview and found that it's now natively portable with no text file edits necessary. Wish I'd updated sooner.

Anyway, I've updated the official entry with the new setup procedure.