BitVise SSH Client (formerly TunnelierPortable)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
appsuser

BitVise SSH Client (formerly TunnelierPortable)

#1 Post by appsuser »

I'm not sure if this is considered a freeware portable app, but it is free for personal use...

TunnelierPortable

Tunnelier is a feature-rich graphical SSH/SFTP client for windows, developed by Bitvise Limited. The Tunnelier program is generally free for personal use.

TunnelierPortable is a portable Tunnelier package prepared by VBAP Pty. Ltd. based on Bitvise's Tunnelier application, with permission from Bitvise Limited. In order to use Tunnelier, you must agree with the Tunnelier end-user license agreement as published at http://www.bitvise.com/tunnelier-license.

http://tp.vbap.com.au/

Checker

Re: TunnelierPortable

#2 Post by Checker »

Very useful if you use Total Commander :)
See :!:
Total Commander doesn't have an SFTP client (secure FTP connection). Even though there is an SFTP plugin by Martin Kanich and Hans-Jürgen Petrich (SFTP for TotalCMD), the implementation isn't mature and the development has been discontinued.
Tunnelier includes a so called FTP-to-SFTP Bridge (beside other features that are based on SSH). It establishes a secured connection to the desired SFTP server. Total Commander then can use its normal FTP client to access this connection (via localhost = 127.0.0.1). Tunnelier translates between the FTP and the SFTP protocol.

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

How to get Tunnelier working with your software

You'll need to download Tunnelier and have at least one application that uses FTP in some fashion. I wrote up something for two programs PicPick and Freecommander but most other software will work the same way.
  1. Get Tunnelier up and click the "Services" tab and check "Enabled" next to the "FTP-to-SFTP bridge."
  2. Click on the "Login" tab
  3. If you have a normal account (like most people), you'll set "initial method" to "password" and just type in your username and password. I check the "store encrypted password in profile" so I don't have to remember my password everytime.
  4. Click "Login" at the bottom and the status window just above it should show lots of info but most importantly an "Authentication Completed" message.
  5. Then get your other program that supports regular FTP started. Just enter in "127.0.0.1" and type anything in for the login information ("anonymous" works fine). From there, it will forward it securely to the server Tuneleir logged into.
Setting this up with two popular programs:

FreeCommander surf SFTP servers like you would your home computer
  1. Select "FTP" button from the menu bar.
  2. Double-click "New FTP Connection"
  3. Type "localhost" for both the name and host address
  4. Check the "anonymous login" button
  5. Select "ok"
  6. Double click localhost and just click "ok" at the box that pops up.
PicPick's FTP uploader
  1. Right click the task bar icon and hold your cursor over "Screen Capture", then "Output Type", then click "Upload to FTP Server"
  2. Again, right click the task bar icon, but this time select "Program Options" and select "FTP" in the sidebar.
  3. For "FTP Server" enter "localhost" (or "127.0.0.1") and enter absolutely anything for username.
  4. Make sure the port is set to "21"
  5. Click "test". If you get a "connection established" message, you're all set.
If anyone asks, I'll write up a more complete howto with screenshots and everything.

More on this process is on the official website. Note also that PuTTy can do tunneling, although I have not tested this.

---

Some side notes:

Tunnelier is an excellent security tool, easy to use, and I encourage everyone here to check it out. This has the potential to make a LOT of other software portable work better through high security.

* GPL'd
* BitVise developed the software and has done a lot of stuff with SFTP for a while now so this isn't some fly-by-night company
Last edited by webfork on Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: (cleanup 2)

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

Sadly, I'm getting some registry change messages. I don't know if that's temporary or what but I hope its not.

* HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{F69F56E6-2F6D-4782-8E0F-5C6ECB85F455}\
* HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{F69F56E6-2F6D-4782-8E0F-5C6ECB85F455}\InprocServer32
* HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{F69F56E6-2F6D-4782-8E0F-5C6ECB85F455}\InprocServer32\
* HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{F69F56E6-2F6D-4782-8E0F-5C6ECB85F455}\InprocServer32\RuntimeVersion

Either way, its probably not stealth.

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

One semi-portable (requires java) alternative to Total Commander with SFTP already built-in is muCommander (http://www.mucommander.com/).

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

Version 4.35 is out. Long list of updates: http://www.bitvise.com/tunnelier-history

guinness

#7 Post by guinness »

Tested: Portable (Not Stealth)

I had the similar Registry Key as @WebFork (InprocServer32) but it wasn't deleted upon successful close. Other than that nothing else was written outside of the Application folder.

I think InprocServer32 is unavoidable!

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

guinness wrote:Tested: Portable (Not Stealth)
Fantastic! Thanks!

webfork

#9 Post by webfork »

So from the main site I found a file argument that's supposed to turn off registry use "-noRegistry". This may not work with the Portable version but I'm testing using RegFromApp and its not reading, writing, or anything. Is that "InprocServer32" registry entry only written when the program is first run?

webfork

#10 Post by webfork »

guinness

#11 Post by guinness »

I haven't tested the commandline you suggested, but personally I can't see the InprocServer32 being a major issue.

webfork

#12 Post by webfork »

Version 4.40_Rev_2.0 is out http://tp.vbap.com.au/download , updating to the latest version of Tunnelier. Will update along with a bunch of other things hopefully after this crazy week is over.

SYSTEM

#13 Post by SYSTEM »

webfork wrote:Will update along with a bunch of other things hopefully after this crazy week is over.
No, you won't. I updated it already. :P

(The faster the database is updated, the better. :) )
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Checker

#14 Post by Checker »

SYSTEM wrote:... (The faster the database is updated, the better. :) ...
Very good attitude Image

webfork

#15 Post by webfork »

SYSTEM wrote:No, you won't. I updated it already. :P
Good stuff -- thanks