Songbird music player and library [discontinued]

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
JohnTHaller

Re: Songbird Portable V1.2

#16 Post by JohnTHaller »

guinness wrote:TESTED: Portable (Not Stealth)

Saved to HKLM\SOFTWARE\mozilla.org & %TEMP%, plus creates an empty folder in %APPDATA%\Mozilla. Thankfully the launcher does alot of cleaning up!

I would say Add It! because Firefox and Thunderbird are developed by Mozilla (+ PortableaApps) and they are both in the database.
Hmm... are those both left behind after the app and launcher exit? If so, that's a bug and we'll get on it. I just don't recall encountering that in testing nor it being reported by our users (and they usually catch stuff like that).
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

guinness

#17 Post by guinness »

It was after I closed the PortableApps launcher. I have to say (as before) the launcher in my opinion works very well :) It's just these small problems that occur with Songbird and Firefox.

JohnTHaller

#18 Post by JohnTHaller »

guinness wrote:It was after I closed the PortableApps launcher. I have to say (as before) the launcher in my opinion works very well :) It's just these small problems that occur with Songbird and Firefox.
Firefox Portable and Thunderbird Portable both properly clean up after themselves, including all bits in %APPDATA% (the only exception being if you use the auto-updater instead of updating yourself, in which case a blank %APPDATA%\Mozilla directory is left behind). Songbird Portable *should* clean up after itself properly as well. Let me take a look at it and get it working properly.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

joby_toss

#19 Post by joby_toss »

joby_toss wrote:When you move SongbirdPortable folder you should also delete "prefs.js" file from "Data\profile" folder.
I need to revise this: no need to delete that file (actually it is kind of a stupid thing to do, sorry about that).

1. locate the "prefs.js" file in "SongbirdPortable\Data\profile" folder and search for "user_pref("songbird.library.loader.0.databaseLocation"..." and "user_pref("songbird.library.loader.1.databaseLocation"..." lines and change (even using notepad) the paths accordingly (Songbird must be closed during this operation!);

2. start Songbird, open a new tab, hit "about:config" address and search for "songbird.library.loader.0.databaseLocation" and "songbird.library.loader.1.databaseLocation" and change their values using the correct paths.

This is necessary when you move your Songbird folder around in the HDD, not when using Songbird from a flash drive (obviously). Otherwise Songbird will try to read (and eventually create new) settings from the previous location.

P.S. I'm using Songbird 1.7.2.1667 on win7x64

webfork

#20 Post by webfork »

Okay, finally posted: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1957

The program's really come a long way and it certainly was missing a home here on PFW.

webfork

#21 Post by webfork »

So the program is still saving files relative to where it was first run. The "C:\WINDOWS\temp" process mentioned earlier in this article seems to still be a good workaround for this. I'm not sure if this is the issue joby is talking about in his note about the prefs.js edit.

Should I update the entry to point out users should extract to C:\windows\temp as part of the extraction process?

(Specifically the leftovers in question are folder C:\WINDOWS\Temp\SongbirdPortable\Data\profile\db and files main@library.songbirdnest.com.db and web@library.songbirdnest.com.db.)

guinness

#22 Post by guinness »

I would recommend updating the entry! This is why I have yet to move over to Songbird Portable for these reasons.

joby_toss

#23 Post by joby_toss »

This is what I didn't like about the portable version (the issue is about complete path changing, not only the drive letter changing):
http://portableapps.com/node/20454#comment-125866

Portable apps should be able to save settings where the .exe is, even if launched from the moon! I don't really get JTH's statement that "Portable apps aren't supposed to be arbitrarily moved around between folders or independently of the data they reference. A good chunk of them will break when you do this.".

webfork

#24 Post by webfork »

joby_toss wrote:This is what I didn't like about the portable version (the issue is about complete path changing, not only the drive letter changing): http://portableapps.com/node/20454#comment-125866
Of course, a fully self-contained software is ideal, but I'd certainly rather have software with issues than not have the software at all. If its a huge pain to make changes to the code to make it fully portable, I certainly understand. Songbird is a huge program.
joby_toss wrote:Portable apps should be able to save settings where the .exe is, even if launched from the moon! I don't really get JTH's statement that "Portable apps aren't supposed to be arbitrarily moved around between folders or independently of the data they reference. A good chunk of them will break when you do this.".
I wish they went into what programs behave this way so we could document it. I don't mind that the programs are not completely portable, I just want to have some idea of what its doing.
guinness wrote:I would recommend updating the entry! This is why I have yet to move over to Songbird Portable for these reasons.
Gotcha -- updated.

Ruby

#25 Post by Ruby »

The download link in the database was version dependent (1.7.3), so I've 'temporarily' updated it to match the 'Website' link.

The updated version at the download page at sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/portabl ... 0Portable/
is in a sub-directory 'Additional Versions', not sure if/when it will be moved to the parent directory.

@webfork, @JohnTHaller; Feel free to update if/when need be.

JohnTHaller

#26 Post by JohnTHaller »

Ruby wrote:The download link in the database was version dependent (1.7.3), so I've 'temporarily' updated it to match the 'Website' link.

The updated version at the download page at sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/portabl ... 0Portable/
is in a sub-directory 'Additional Versions', not sure if/when it will be moved to the parent directory.

@webfork, @JohnTHaller; Feel free to update if/when need be.
With all our apps at PortableApps.com, it's better to link to the app page. Our SourceForge links are updated semi-regularly (and without notice). And our freeware download server is setup to disallow direct-linking/hotlinking/leeching and only support links from our own website.

Ruby

#27 Post by Ruby »

JohnTHaller wrote:And our freeware download server is setup to disallow direct-linking/hotlinking/leeching and only support links from our own website.
You might wanna check on that: http://sourceforge.net/projects/portabl ... e/download

JohnTHaller

#28 Post by JohnTHaller »

Ruby wrote:
JohnTHaller wrote:And our freeware download server is setup to disallow direct-linking/hotlinking/leeching and only support links from our own website.
You might wanna check on that: http://sourceforge.net/projects/portabl ... e/download
That's our open source server setup :) We host our open source apps on SF which permits external linking but the links change with each release. Our freeware server is separate.

webfork

Re: Songbird Portable

#29 Post by webfork »

SongBird 2.1.0 appears to have gone adware (installware) according to softpedia:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia ... bird.shtml

Not surprisingly, PA's version hasn't been updated to the new version http://portableapps.com/apps/music_vide ... d_portable

Sorry to see that happen, but if I had to guess, I'd say their adoption was less than expected and integrated music store didn't see enough affiliate purchase revenue to pay the bills. Or they saw the way the Amazon music folder and Google Drive were going and wanted to get on that bandwagon, hoping adware on the local client would help fund that.

Napiophelios

#30 Post by Napiophelios »

you should be able to extract the installer contents with 7zip
just delete the "PIP267_SGD4_.exe"