oldcomputers

Share interesting information or links related to portable apps here.
juverax

oldcomputers

#1 Post by juverax »

https://oldcomputers-ddns.org/ has a collection of applications for old computers (starting in the early 80z).
Some users were successful at running these applications in a virtual box, and this legitimates this post in the category "Resources and Links" of applications that are not portable.
For those who want to relive the experience ... and have fun with these "magic machines" (I am quoting the web site!).

webfork

Re: oldcomputers

#2 Post by webfork »

Found some gems in here that I feel sure are only something that's interesting to me but I'll post it anyhow ...

---

First, I have a running theory with mixed evidence that writing good tech manuals is a lost art. Still, I did find one in the DEC directory about setting up a DEUNA device from 1983 that looks really good:

https://oldcomputers-ddns.org/public/pu ... ersman.pdf

There's a lot of bad conventions in here but plenty of good ones too, including quality cut-away diagrams, numbering, font, and indentation. I wouldn't know where to find the software that was used to write these but it definitely worked.

Second, It's also interesting to see a DOS manual and to think that the many older and often weirder Unix commands are still going strong today. Yes I know FreeDos is a thing, I mean in general.

https://oldcomputers-ddns.org/public/pu ... manual.pdf

dhuro99

#3 Post by dhuro99 »

I've actually used oldcomputers-ddns.org before, and it's a goldmine for vintage computer enthusiasts. I've had luck running some of those old applications in a virtual box too.

lintalist

#4 Post by lintalist »

dhuro99 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:17 am ...
Just to get your attention in case you're not a bot.

Midas

#5 Post by Midas »

lintalist wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:27 pm
dhuro99 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:17 am ...
Just to get your attention in case you're not a bot.
FWIW, I got the same suspicion... :|

lintalist

#6 Post by lintalist »

Given the age of the account I'm guessing the email account used by that user was hacked/leaked and a bot now uses it. But could be wrong of course (the moderators can probably see the email address and could run it through one of those powned lists to check it out)

Andrew Lee

#7 Post by Andrew Lee »

pwned.png

What made you guys suspicious? Other than the fact that this old account started posting a lot in a day, the content of those posts looked totally ok to me!

Midas

#8 Post by Midas »

Andrew Lee wrote: Other than the fact that this old account started posting a lot in a day, the content of those posts looked totally ok to me!
Same to me and nothing much really, just a hunch... :shock:

Hadn't noticed it was an old account and, usually, new members come with requests and stay for the goodies.