A win for portability

Any other tech-related topics
webfork

A win for portability

#1 Post by webfork »

Story time. Things like this used to happen frequently, but just how perfectly this all came together was really nice.

---

A friend of mine up at work had a problem folks here on the forums could probably fix. There was a screen capture he needed to do but he didn't want to grab both monitors -- just one. With ShareX, you can grab just one monitor easily.

Unfortunately everything we did to try and get this program was for naught. The systems are very disinterested in software installation and that only seems to get more true over time. I was trying to get to the portable version without specifically going to portablefreeware.com because I really didn't want to reveal my side gig (keeping work and side project separate). ShareX unfortunately isn't linking clearly to it's portable version from the home page and we're on a timetable so I finally gave in.

The happy ending is that I was able to get it up and running to capture using CTRL+SHIFT+M. It saved a huge amount of time and headache.

Screen of the setup for an active monitor screencap:

Screen of the setting to CTRL+SHIFT+M:

Finally, the fact that it was open source and nothing had to be installed made it a much easier argument that this it wasn't odd/unusual or a security threat. Yay for portable.

Andrew Lee

Re: Story of a win for portable

#2 Post by Andrew Lee »

That's so cool! I absolutely believe more software should be built this way, and more people should know about the advantages of portable apps.

Midas

#3 Post by Midas »

Ditto. 8)

nicolwh

#4 Post by nicolwh »

Cool. I also believe more software should be built this way, as with my software I can play only online games at http://www.kizi2games.net/ . That's a great service and I like it, but I want to play games not only online