What is the best way sync tablet/laptop and desktop?

Any other tech-related topics
starstuff

What is the best way sync tablet/laptop and desktop?

#1 Post by starstuff »

Hello,

after reading about the core m processor, im planning on getting a ultraportable tablet/laptop running windows 10 and would like to sync it to the desktop running windows 7.

the windows 10 would be a work computer,i would like to run this like an android phone or tablet, this computer will not be shutdown, it will be constantly running portable apps that i use everyday, (e.g portables of libreoffice, 7-zip, firefox, chrome)

the other desktop running windows 7 would be a home computer, it would be a backup computer, and would be use at night only. the home computer use portable apps as well.

i would like to ask for some advice on the best way to sync these two computers properly.

the concern i have is that if i have running apps on the work computer, then sync it to the home computer, there could be some problem? also when syncing it back where the two computer are running apps, how will that work?

does anyone have any experience with this?

TIA!

SYSTEM

Re: What is the best way sync tablet/laptop and desktop?

#2 Post by SYSTEM »

Well, portable apps are supposed to make that kind of "syncing" unnecessary. You could store the apps on a thumb drive or external hard drive, and simply disconnect it from one computer and connect it to the other one when you want to switch between computers.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

shnbwmn

#3 Post by shnbwmn »

Ditto to SYSTEM's reply. That said, here's an article I came across while scouring for BitTorrent Sync alternatives, which might be relevant to the OP.

starstuff

#4 Post by starstuff »

@SYSTEM

thanks for the reply, your suggestion is what im currently using, but i like to make it more like the android/ipad/iphone experience.

what i would like to achieve is not to close down any apps on the tablet/laptop work computer so i can get back to it later, sync it to the desktop, run the desktop apps, sync it back to the work computer.

after giving it more thought, this seems to be impossible with 2 computers though. this is like the ms continuum but it will use the other computers app and continue where i left off.

what is your thought?

@shnbwmn

thanks for your suggestion, i can use it for files.

TIA!

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

what i would like to achieve is not to close down any apps on the tablet/laptop work computer so i can get back to it later, sync it to the desktop, run the desktop apps, sync it back to the work computer.
Have you considered running the applications entirely off a shared folder using something like Dropbox or OneDrive? These services are focused on quickly and efficiently synchronizing with a main server and they do so with very little user intervention.

If you don't want to use Internet-based syncing systems, I've been very fond of Bvckup due to it's speed, ability to work well on network shares, and ease of copying open files. It'll work with whatever setup you have.

SYSTEM

#6 Post by SYSTEM »

starstuff wrote:@SYSTEM

thanks for the reply, your suggestion is what im currently using, but i like to make it more like the android/ipad/iphone experience.

after giving it more thought, this seems to be impossible with 2 computers though. this is like the ms continuum but it will use the other computers app and continue where i left off.

what is your thought?
I think that's not going to work. :( Programs don't expect that their files change behind their back when they're running. Some programs would likely fail to pick up configuration changes you made on another computer; more complex programs such as email clients may even corrupt their databases.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

shnbwmn

#7 Post by shnbwmn »

starstuff wrote: @shnbwmn

thanks for your suggestion, i can use it for files.
At the moment at least, syncing programs at file-level, post-run is probably the best deal you're going to get. Even something like the PortableApps Platform, which can install to a cloud folder, still only syncs at file-level as per the capabilities of whatever cloud service is being used.

In the near future, we might see such a thing being realised. Windows 10 already allows a person to sync their settings to whichever other computer they're logged into. Store Apps, loathed as they may be, probably also allow such a thing, but I've never tried it. Even with all that, you still can't sync a program while it's running, which as I understand it is the thing you're after.

Edit: WinSwitch might be worth a look.

starstuff

#8 Post by starstuff »

@webfork, SYSTEM, shnbwmn

Thank you very much guys for the advices/suggestions! :D

I'm going back with using file-level syncing then.

@shnbwmn

the idea of winswitch program is what im after but i need it working on 2 computers, thank you for sharing that. also, it looks like the ms continuum.