Suggestion -- new field: "Release Date" [added!]

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.
Andrew Lee

Re: Suggestion of new field: "Release Date"

#31 Post by Andrew Lee »

I have added the "Release date" field in the database. This info will be displayed in the header if available.
Attachments
reldate.png

Specular

#32 Post by Specular »

Andrew Lee wrote:I have added the "Release date" field in the database. This info will be displayed in the header if available.
For clarification, what is the intended date format? There wasn't a suggested format on the entry page, should it follow the screenshot above?

Would be nice if it could be entered in the ISO 8601 standard of YYYY-MM-DD, then displayed in whatever output format on the actual entry. I guess I'm used to that from my music collection tagging and foobar2000 panel displays:)

Edit: just checked the AIMP entry details, it is! Nice.

Checker

#33 Post by Checker »

@ Specular: It's been entered as YYYY-MM-DD (e.g. 2015-01-16), but displayed as 16 Jan 2015.
BTW: There is also a little calendar popup, where you can select the date directly.
Attachments
Release date.gif
Last edited by Checker on Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew Lee

#34 Post by Andrew Lee »

Thanks Checker. That was exactly my reply!

Checker

#35 Post by Checker »

Andrew Lee wrote:Thanks Checker. That was exactly my reply!
I think it's me mostly entering it now :wink:

Specular

#36 Post by Specular »

Checker wrote:@ Specular: It's been entered as YYYY-MM-DD (e.g. 2015-01-16), but displayed as 16 Jan 2015.
BTW: There is also a little calendar popup, where you can select the date directly.
Yea, originally had Javascript disabled and didn't notice the popup at first ;) Neat feature and it even updates live to match dates pasted in.

tproli

#37 Post by tproli »

µBlock extension (Chrome) also blocks the popup Calendar here but that's only a matter of changing µBlock settings I guess.

Btw, "Permalink" link in the end of the third row in the application settings perhaps could be replaced by a "paper clip" icon, to reduce row with (and avoid breaking to 2 rows).

Something similar to this:
http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Aweso ... paperclip/

Taking this further, how about changing all (or only subset of) the links in this row with webfont icons?
Here is a great icon source that could be used: http://fontello.com/

Andrew Lee

#38 Post by Andrew Lee »

Btw, "Permalink" link in the end of the third row in the application settings perhaps could be replaced by a "paper clip" icon, to reduce row with (and avoid breaking to 2 rows).
It will still break with a smaller laptop screen. Mine breaks at "What's new?" with browser window maximized.
Taking this further, how about changing all (or only subset of) the links in this row with webfont icons?
I am not opposed to the idea myself. Any objections?

webfork

#39 Post by webfork »

I am not opposed to the idea myself. Any objections?
Mainly a usability question: whatever icons we go with, what's the mouseover going to be? Right now for website and download for example it's a link. Are we going to replace that with the words the icons are intended to replace? I'd kind of like to leave that there but that might throw people off if the icons that are selected aren't really obvious.

Also, I'd probably aim for 30x30 icons at minimum. The ones in that link were pretty sharp but seemed hard to click on for non-mouse users.

DarkShadow

#40 Post by DarkShadow »

Something like that for: Website, Screenshot, Download, Forum topic, Comments, What's new, Permalink
Attachments
Icons.gif
Icons.gif (3.92 KiB) Viewed 20514 times

Specular

#41 Post by Specular »

Permalink might be okay if the reasoning is that it breaks into two lines occasionally. It's probably the better icon to change (if any) as the entry title acts as the same link, giving a larger, alternative clickable area.

Not a big fan of making them all font icons, as it's easier clicking a longer horizontal link than small squares, and the names more easily understood. The 'What's New' and 'Forum topic' links also don't translate well to icon form.

Here's basically how it would look using a slightly modified Entypo set:

Permalink only:

Comments only (fairly commonly used for representing comments):

Mostly icons:
Edit wrote:Updated all icons version, post.

tproli

#42 Post by tproli »

I agree that full icon row only is less understandable (and clickable).

I like Specular's second version (Comments icon), but perhaps with Permalink also iconized.
In theory this would fix most line breaks on a 1024px width screen, but not where 32bit and 64bit download versions are also available.
Because of this, maybe Forum topic could be also iconized.

1024px is nowadays is not so common, 1376px is more general I guess. But using 1024 is more safer and the site won't break up on some tablets (though the ability to click on the links is another issue :)).

Update:
Or perhaps a better solution: gradually showing icons only for some screen resolution (using media queries).
So on 800px screen width most of the links were icon, less icons on 1024, etc.

Checker

#43 Post by Checker »

tproli wrote:... I like Specular's second version (Comments icon), but perhaps with Permalink also iconized. ...
+1 :wink:

Specular

#44 Post by Specular »

tproli wrote:Or perhaps a better solution: gradually showing icons only for some screen resolution (using media queries).
So on 800px screen width most of the links were icon, less icons on 1024, etc.
Made a Stylish userstyle of this concept here you can test. It's only a concept, as the comments text is clipped short, and none of the icons are currently sprites. Images are embedded as data URIs.

It's best to test on the front page with an entry that includes the full set of links, such as Blank and Secure. I used Firefox's responsive view mode (Ctrl+Shift+M) to check changes.

Full width:

Sub 1260px:

Sub 1080px:

Around 800px wide multiple elements of the page begin to be overlapped so I didn't add any changes at that size.

tproli

#45 Post by tproli »

Looks fine to me.