Mining for more portable software

Any other tech-related topics
webfork

Mining for more portable software

#1 Post by webfork »

I keep coming across programs to test that might be portable but never get the time to really dig into them. In the last two months, I actually built a whole testing environment but – even with some impressive improvements in my tool set – I am still not making any real progress on this list. As such, I'm going to try opening this up.

Portable Software to Test [Google Docs]

Why the list?
  • I'm acknowledging my limitations. This is an effort to let go of just one of probably 20+ mini-projects connected to PFW that I've started and been able to make headway on over the years.
  • Some things just stack up. My "general notes" file for instance is approaching 200 pages.
  • Playing with freeware is fun but it's work too. Programs feel just like when I was a kid and I got a new toy. However, the reality is that there's a lot of other work to check off all the boxes of what I want my work to represent.
Notes
  • I'm using Google Docs just out of dull familiarity but if this belongs elsewhere or in some other format, I welcome it. Otherwise I'll give edit access to any site regulars who want it.
  • Some of these programs are things that are already mentioned on the website (lots of links are directly pointing to forum posts) or are just programs I wanted to go back and check on.
Last edited by webfork on Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: (updated link)

joby_toss

Re: Mining for more portable software

#2 Post by joby_toss »

I got chills while scrolling that file...the thing is huge! :)

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

joby_toss wrote:I got chills while scrolling that file...the thing is huge! :)
*nods* It's a monster.

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

webfork wrote:Some things just stack up. My "general notes" file for instance is approaching 200 pages.
I've continued to try cutting down on mini-projects, half-written posts, and otherwise ill-fitting site items. As such, I created a "More Portable Freeware" blog to just start shelving some of these things that really don't belong here on the site:

http://moreportablefreeware.blogspot.com/

Similar to the program list above, this is intended to be collaborative so if any of the regulars want any level of access, please PM me.