Instantbird - multi-network IM client

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
lautrepay

Re: Instantbird

#16 Post by lautrepay »

webfork wrote: * Would like to see this integrated into Thunderbird so I can search all my messages, both instant and email.
Spicebird integrates mail client (based on Thunderbird), multiprotocol messaging client and calendar.
It's a very slow development (more than Instantbird) (v0.8 was released more than a year ago). A PortableApps.com test package of v.0.7 can be found here.

JohnTHaller

#17 Post by JohnTHaller »

lautrepay wrote:Spicebird integrates mail client (based on Thunderbird), multiprotocol messaging client and calendar.
It's a very slow development (more than Instantbird) (v0.8 was released more than a year ago). A PortableApps.com test package of v.0.7 can be found here.
As Spicebird is based on a long out-of-date version of Thunderbird, it has security issues and should not be used. Same with the free version of Postbox.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

lautrepay

#18 Post by lautrepay »

JohnTHaller wrote:
lautrepay wrote:Spicebird integrates mail client (based on Thunderbird), multiprotocol messaging client and calendar.
As Spicebird is based on a long out-of-date version of Thunderbird, it has security issues and should not be used. Same with the free version of Postbox.
As I've said, current version was released more than one year ago, so it's obvious that the Thunderbird version is very outdated.
However, it doesn't mean that it can't be tested, does it? :wink:

webfork

#19 Post by webfork »

lautrepay wrote:
JohnTHaller wrote:As Spicebird is based on a long out-of-date version of Thunderbird, it has security issues and should not be used. Same with the free version of Postbox.
As I've said, current version was released more than one year ago, so it's obvious that the Thunderbird version is very outdated.
By this same rationale it unfortunately appears that InstantBird is probably insecure (evidently no activity for more than a year).

Very sad to say that as I liked this program a lot more than Pidgin. Much simpler, cleaner, and easier to navigate. Of course it meant fewer features, but it was a good tradeoff.

smaragdus

Re: Instantbird - messaging client

#20 Post by smaragdus »

I suggest this thread be merged with this one- http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... f=4&t=2555.

JohnTHaller

#21 Post by JohnTHaller »

webfork wrote:By this same rationale it unfortunately appears that InstantBird is probably insecure (evidently no activity for more than a year).
The stable release may be insecure as it's using an old version of libpurple. The project isn't dead, though. The Mercurial repository, now hosted at Mozilla, is still active and they're apparently working towards a 1.6 Alpha release.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

webfork

#22 Post by webfork »

JohnTHaller wrote:The project isn't dead, though.
Ah good news.
smaragdus wrote:I suggest this thread be merged
All set

carbonize

#23 Post by carbonize »

JohnTHaller wrote:
webfork wrote:By this same rationale it unfortunately appears that InstantBird is probably insecure (evidently no activity for more than a year).
The stable release may be insecure as it's using an old version of libpurple. The project isn't dead, though. The Mercurial repository, now hosted at Mozilla, is still active and they're apparently working towards a 1.6 Alpha release.
Might not be dead but a new release once every couple of years is as good as dead for what is a fledgling program that is missing a lot of features. I do remember doing a survey for Pidgin a few years ago where they were talking about a server based account system a bit like Trillian uses and some other stuff that was supposed to come in version 3 but alas that appears to have died as well.

JohnTHaller

#24 Post by JohnTHaller »

carbonize wrote:Might not be dead but a new release once every couple of years is as good as dead for what is a fledgling program that is missing a lot of features. I do remember doing a survey for Pidgin a few years ago where they were talking about a server based account system a bit like Trillian uses and some other stuff that was supposed to come in version 3 but alas that appears to have died as well.
I think a combination of networks disappearing and being walled off has affected multi-protocol IM clients. First, MSN Messenger died and the userbase was absorbed into Skype. None of the multi-protocol IM clients work well with Skype (Miranda NG has an alpha-quality test plugin, there are 3rd party dev plugins for Pidgin). Next, both Facebook and Google deprecated XMPP. With Google, it still works but can be a little wonky. With Facebook it's gone but, you can use a new 3rd party plugin with Pidgin that handles the new Messenger protocol. I'm not sure if it works on Miranda at present.

Midas

#25 Post by Midas »

In brief, the online Enclosure Movement plods on... *sigh*

smaragdus

#26 Post by smaragdus »

@JohnTHaller
Miranda IM version 0.10.38 can still connect to Facebook.

webfork

#27 Post by webfork »

JohnTHaller wrote:I think a combination of networks disappearing and being walled off has affected multi-protocol IM clients.
It probably owes itself to the recent excitement around mobile collaboration/messaging tools but I feel like it's short sighted: IM services closing up the protocol and limiting exchange means that they can't be the standard (which is where all companies want to be) and also assumes that:
  1. Whatever IM tools you make, customers will like them (part of the reason Facebook had to buy Whatsapp for 19 billion: their client wasn't great)
  2. That you're covering every OS (mobile and otherwise). I know several Mac users who won't touch anything but Adium.
  3. The software doesn't have any oddities/annoyances that might make someone switch.
Companies that close things off in this manner are setting themselves up for failure against integration and extension. WebRTC for example could have been done with existing IM tools and might even work better. The irony is that these collaboration tools won't collaborate with others.

Midas

Re: Instantbird - multi-network IM client

#28 Post by Midas »

I fully agree with this analysis.

webfork

Re: Instantbird - multi-network IM client

#29 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote:I fully agree with this analysis.

smaragdus

InstantBird native portability

#30 Post by smaragdus »

Thanks to webfork's link I managed to run the native Instantbird in portable mode, it is really portable but not stealth, it creates an empty folder in AppData- C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Instantbird. I ran Instantbird with this parameter:

Code: Select all

instantbird.exe -profile ./folder
Confirmation will be welcome.

All Instantbird downloads:
http://ftp.instantbird.com/instantbird/releases/
https://code.google.com/archive/p/instantbird/downloads - I do not know when Google Code archive will be closed

I see the developers of Instantbird didn't bother to export the project from Google Code to GutHub so I suppose that Instantbird is most likely abandoned for good.

Edit
I spotted that Instantbird cteated another folder in AppData- C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Instantbird\Crash Reports