PDF Reducer Free [not freeware]

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
webfork

PDF Reducer Free [not freeware]

#1 Post by webfork »

Target audience: People who make and share a lot of PDFs

Short version: if you work with PDFs frequently and distribute them to a lot of people, this can cut space/bandwidth quite a bit.  Unfortunately, pictures/screenshots often get blurry in the transition.

License: Nagware (8 sec timer) and Adware.  Only for personal/non-commercial use.

Status: Not portable: Writes settings to user.config in AppData

Requires: some version of dotNET

Feature notes:
  • Works well, pulling a number of files down quite a bit in terms of size.  I also noticed FileOptimizer can also help decrease size a little further after it completes.
  • Does batch conversions
  • Multi-threaded for speed
Warning: As the program recompresses images, it can reduce the overall quality of your document.  Make sure to go back and check that it hasn't blurred important images/screenshots.  For example, it made a flowchart borderline unreadable and setting image quality to "high" didn't really help.

Setup:
  1. Uniextract with the 2nd method, then cancel the installer
  2. In the resulting file, Uniextract again, this time with the default settings
  3. Deep in the resulting subdirectory, there's a folder: pdfreducerfree\pdfreducerfree\uni_ftyshmy\ORPALIS PDF Reducer 2 Free Edition\program files\ORPALIS\PDF Reducer 2 Free Edition
  4. Copy all the contents of this somewhere else and launch pdfReducer.exe

Forum Note: I pushed this into Chit-Chat simply because it's not payware and it's not portable so it doesn't fit into any of the other threads. I'm mostly listing it here to save someone else time with it because I didn't carefully read the site I got it from.

Midas

Re: PDF Reducer Free

#2 Post by Midas »

@webfork: still, this would be better located at "Freeware That Are Not Portable", perhaps?

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote:@webfork: still, this would be better located at "Freeware That Are Not Portable", perhaps?
I would but it's more than just not portable, it's also not freeware in anything but the most generous sense of the word. *Shrug*

Midas

#4 Post by Midas »

Fair enough. 8)