Apache OpenOffice

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
webfork

Re: Apache OpenOffice 3.4

#61 Post by webfork »

lautrepay wrote:Anyway, Apache OpenOffice can be made natively portable the same way that LibreOffice.
Install -> Copy to another folder -> Uninstall -> Edit bootstrap.ini
The only thing I could find on that was "how to run multiple versions in parallel"
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Ins ... n_parallel

How do you edit the bootstrap.ini file to make it portable? And is it stealth / works with relative paths? It's discussed previously, but in an argument between two portablizers (PA and WPP). No word on native portability that I was able to find.

lautrepay

#62 Post by lautrepay »

webfork wrote:Wow, that was stupid. That will teach me to try doing things when I am unusually tired. Sorry about that.
No problem, webfork.
webfork wrote:Can it be closed? I liked the bar in Symphony ok, but if memory serves, it was something you could collapse but not close. Softpedia's screenshots seem to suggest it's the same.
Respect to the sidebar: it's of little use if you already have the toolbars customized to fit your needs, but for casual users or begginers it will certainly be very helpful to quickly find the most important functions. It's sensitive to what you have selected to edit and using widescreens it results in a better use of space.
Finally, the sidebar can be closed, not only collapsed. Just untick Sidebar under the View menu. It's also possible to make it a floating box: go to the sidebar menu and click on Undock.

I use LibreOffice, but if the Apache Foundation follows this path and migrates the tabs from Lotus Symphony, I'll switch to OpenOffice. It's a considerable advantage for me.
webfork wrote:How do you edit the bootstrap.ini file to make it portable? And is it stealth / works with relative paths? It's discussed previously, but in an argument between two portablizers (PA and WPP). No word on native portability that I was able to find.
To make OpenOffice or LibreOffice (they are still very similar) natively portable you have to edit the bootstrap.ini file, which is located in the program folder, modifying the line

Code: Select all

UserInstallation=$SYSUSERCONFIG/LibreOffice/4
with

Code: Select all

UserInstallation=$ORIGIN/../Settings
(Settings or whatever you want to name the folder)
As the settings are stored in a relative path, you can use your LibreOffice/OpenOffice from removable drives or move it to another computer.
I don't know if it's stealth (and I'm not able to test it), but it's portable.

For the installation, do one of the follow:
1) Install LibreOffice/OpenOffice, copy the program files to another folder, uninstall it. Then edit the bootstrap.ini.
2) Install LibreOffice/OpenOffice normally directly to your portable software folder and edit bootstrap.ini. (This is my method now, because I've been lazy and the associations with MS Office are kept automatically. Off course, the result is far from being stealth)
3) The third option is to copy or move the LibreOffice/OpenOffice folder located inside the bin folder (winPenPack's versions) or the app folder (PortableApps.com's versions) to another place and edit bootstrap.ini (with this option you'll perhaps have a bigger package with unneeded dictionaries, GUI languages, etc.)
Advantages of the natively portable installation:
1) You can choose exactly what you need and what you don't need to install (not true if you choose the third installation option).
2) The program starts faster.
3) You can use parameters. For example, it's possible to open .odp, .ppt and .pptx files directly in presentation mode using the --show parameter.
4) In the case of LibreOffice, you can easily install the help files in other languages rather than in english.
Disadvantages:
1) It's preferable to place the LibreOffice/OpenOffice folder next to the root of the partition, otherwise you may have problems (but this is under your control).
2) Perhaps there are other disadvantages, I don't know.

Finally, LibreOffice has adopted the sidebar in its 4.1 version (although it's an experimental feature). To enable it go to Tools > Options > Advanced and tick Enable experimental sidebar (on restart).

webfork

#63 Post by webfork »

Finally, LibreOffice has adopted the sidebar in its 4.1 version (although it's an experimental feature). To enable it go to Tools > Options > Advanced and tick Enable experimental sidebar (on restart).
I tested it out and certainly not my preference. I'm glad LibreOffice doesn't have it enabled by default as I find it distracting, but I see your point about being useful for beginners. The tabs bit you mention would also be very nice, but I remember that feature being asked for since back in StarOffice days and I think there's some real resistance to adding that for some unknown reason. I hope that's one thing LibreOffice pulls into their version, while continuing to make the sidebar optional.

Would be especially nice as I used OfficeTabs for a long time before I largely quit using Word.

webfork

#64 Post by webfork »

lautrepay wrote:Perhaps there are other disadvantages, I don't know.
Have you been testing it at all?
lautrepay wrote:The program starts faster.
How much faster?

webfork

Re: X-ApacheOpenOffice

#65 Post by webfork »

OpenOffice 4.4.1 experience so far:

Note: due to problems described here, I'm actually using the installed version, but I expect the functionality is identical.
  • Extremely stable - so far has yet to crash
  • Meh Formatting - Handles some formatting things differently (especially dislike how it works with Headings). There's also a very old, unfixed bug where if you paste in text from another file -- even if they're both 11 pt font -- it will show up as 12 pt. It's been fixed in LibreOffice for well over a year.
  • User Interface I dislike the sidebar and prefer the LibreOffice's "Find" tool. CTRL+F opens up a separate box at the base of the doc. OpenOffice put it at the top in a tiny window at the top, which feels a little odd, and if you hit CTRL+F, it opens up a Find+Replace window.
Amusingly, if you needed an indicator of how behind the times OpenOffice is, take a look at the search engine list:

I haven't seen the word "Lycos" in 10 years.  Still, I might take old and functional over new and crashy.

JohnTHaller

Apache OpenOffice Portable 4.1.1 SecFix 1 critical issue

#66 Post by JohnTHaller »

PortableApps.com has posted Apache OpenOffice Portable 4.1.1 SecFix 1 to fix a critical security vulnerability allowing arbitrary code execution from an opened document within Apache OpenOffice itself. I've included the details from our release announcement here for convenience:
This release of Apache OpenOffice Portable fixes a critical security vulnerability, CVE-2015-1774, found within Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1. This critical issue was patched in LibreOffice 4.3.7 in April but still remains unpatched in Apache OpenOffice. A patch was supposed to be forthcoming in Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2, but the future of that release as well as of Apache OpenOffice itself remains in limbo according to the July Apache Board Report from OpenOffice. As such, PortableApps.com has taken the initiative to produce a package of Apache OpenOffice Portable with the security vulnerability patched to ensure our users are not affected.

PortableApps.com Platform users will automatically receive a small under 1MB patch update to their existing Apache OpenOffice Portable install. Users of the app that do not use our platform can opt to download the full version or the small patch file via a link below the download buttons (just be sure you're already using Apache OpenOffice Portable 4.1.1 Repack or 4.1.1 if using the full language set as the platform won't do it for you). Users of the local version should follow the manual instructions included in the security announcement.
I'll leave it to the PFC admins how they'd like to address this within the database entry.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

SYSTEM

Re: Apache OpenOffice Portable 4.1.1 SecFix 1 critical issue

#67 Post by SYSTEM »

I added a warning to the entry. I think the warning and this thread are sufficient.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

JohnTHaller

#68 Post by JohnTHaller »

It's worth noting this has been in the wild since April and I saw mentioned online (but have not verified personally) you can rename an .hwp document to a .doc to trick people into thinking it's harmless so they'll open it.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

webfork

#69 Post by webfork »

JohnTHaller wrote:It's worth noting this has been in the wild since April
Confirmed, but this is only part of the story:

http://www.its.ny.gov/security-advisory ... -execution

The notice was around since April but LibreOffice was also affected until 4.3.7 (Still) 4.4.2 (Fresh). This is important as there are a LOT of both LibreOffice and OpenOffice old installations out there.

John: were you going to post something to the PA OO page? http://portableapps.com/apps/office/openoffice_portable

Edit: sorry, how did PortableApps get around this but the main OpenOffice distro didn't? Or did it? What the hell? Edit2: my fault, I didn't see the workaround notice. I'm still confused about what people are getting when they download standard (install) OpenOffice.

JohnTHaller

#70 Post by JohnTHaller »

When people download and install OpenOffice 4.1.1 or any unmodified portable version, they're getting the vulnerable bits that allow arbitrary code execution. OpenOffice's fate is apparently in limbo as is the state of OpenOffice 4.1.2 from the state of the last board minutes done back in July. There have been quite a few people making noise online to stop using OpenOffice immediately due to the fact that they appear not to have the resources to do a security release.

The whole reason I did the OpenOffice 4.1.1 SecFix 1 release was to ensure anyone using OpenOffice Portable was getting a version without that vulnerability.

Midas

#71 Post by Midas »

JohnTHaller wrote:The whole reason I did the OpenOffice 4.1.1 SecFix 1 release was to ensure anyone using OpenOffice Portable was getting a version without that vulnerability.
  • And you should be commended for doing that. I'm not a OO user, but I thank you on behalf of the Internet at large. :)

SYSTEM

#72 Post by SYSTEM »

Yesterday Apache promised that OpenOffice 4.1.2 is "coming soon": https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/comi ... enoffice_4

JohnTHaller

#73 Post by JohnTHaller »

SYSTEM wrote:Yesterday Apache promised that OpenOffice 4.1.2 is "coming soon": https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/comi ... enoffice_4
I am curious to see when it lands as the planning page lists "late 2015" as the expected release date: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/dis ... /AOO+4.1.2

webfork

#74 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote:
JohnTHaller wrote:The whole reason I did the OpenOffice 4.1.1 SecFix 1 release was to ensure anyone using OpenOffice Portable was getting a version without that vulnerability.
  • And you should be commended for doing that. I'm not a OO user, but I thank you on behalf of the Internet at large. :)
Actually I think this might be a good time to divorce one's self from anything to do with OpenOffice. They have MONTHS to fix and continue to distribute an insecure program without any notice on the home page? The whole draw for OpenOffice over other tools out there was it's reliability. I've been advocating for both LibreOffice and OpenOffice for quite some time now and this just feels like a f--k you, especially when it looks like just a DLL they could remove and re-distribute to fix.

I appreciate what John's done but I'd really just like to distance us from Apache OpenOffice.
Last edited by webfork on Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: [better wording]

SYSTEM

#75 Post by SYSTEM »

webfork wrote:
Midas wrote:
Actually I think this might be a good time to divorce one's self from anything to do with OpenOffice. They have MONTHS to fix and continue to distribute an insecure program without any notice on the home page? The whole draw for OpenOffice over other tools out there was it's reliability. I've been advocating for both LibreOffice and OpenOffice for quite some time now and this just feels like a f--k you, especially when it looks like just a DLL they could remove and re-distribute to fix.

I appreciate what John's done but I'd really just like to distance us from Apache OpenOffice.
Agreed.

When Oracle donated the OpenOffice.org trademark and domain to Apache, it essentially started a race between LibreOffice and OpenOffice, about which project progresses faster. At this point it's crystal clear that LibreOffice won that race. Not only does Apache add new features slowly: they are barely able to make even security updates.

And as you said, they could simply remove the Hangul Word Processor DLL and repackage OpenOffice. It wouldn't be a technically clean fix, since OpenOffice code would still try to load that DLL, but even hack-fixes like that are better than leaving users vulnerable.