GM - UniversalSync

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
just.odd.dude

GM - UniversalSync

#1 Post by just.odd.dude »

Synchronize all kinds of data. Most commonly the GM-UniversalSync application will be used for file synchronization.
http://www.gm-software.de/dtuniversalsync.htm

Features:
  • Small (~1,2 MB).
    Fast (native optimized code).
    Stable.
    Multithreaded.
    Produces reliable results.
    Tidy and easy to use user interface.
    Unlimited number of synchronization profiles.
    Each synchronization profile may contain two or more locations to be synchronized.
    Unicode, supporting all chrachters worldwide (Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, Greek, Cyrillic, Hebrew, etc.) in the setup, the software and the file and folder names to be synchronized.
    All modification times are compared as UTC so there will never be misinterpreting of modification time values worldwide.
    Always responsive and instantly interruptable, even when stuck in internet calls, due to non-blocking internet socket use.
    Analyze mode that simulates a synchronization to show what it would do but does not make any changes to the locations of the synchronization profile.
    Can handle path names with more than 250 charachters. Any single directory name inside the path must not exceed 250 charachters, but the length of the complete path may be up to 32767 charachters.
    Multilanguage user interface, currently the following languages are supported:
    • English
      German
    Compare window showing the contents of all locations of a synchronization profile side by side:
    • Allowing to browse through folders and subfolders of the locations.
      Supporting direct copy/move of files and folders by drag and drop. drag and drop works inside and between compare view windows of the same application instance. It does not work between compare view windows of different application instances, and it does not work to/from windows explorer.
      Supporting deletions of files and folders by DEL-key or context menu.
      Showing what the synchronization would do by small symbols.
    Extendable via data accessor Plugins. Currently the following plugins are included:
    • Data accessor for locally mounted file systems (local drives, USB-drives, network drives, CD, DVD, etc.).
      Data accessor for FTP server with SSL/TLS support (ftp/ftps).
      Data accessor for WebDAV server with SSL/TLS support (http/https).
    Detects deletions and moves by remerbering previous synchronization states.
    Can be used "portable" (without installation) at any location.
    Integrated scheduling for automatic synchronization.
    Runs on all windows systems NT/2000/XP/Vista/Win7/Win8 32-Bit or 64-Bit. No .Net, Gdi+ or other additional software needed.
Portable instruction: http://www.gm-software.de/unisyncportableuse.htm
Attachments
gmuniversalsyncprofiles.png

Midas

Re: GM - UniversalSync

#2 Post by Midas »

Just tested GM-UniversalSync and found it definitely a keeper: simple, lightweight and effective. As first pointed by just.odd.dude above, portability is easily achieved through use of the "/DataDir" parameter...

Thus, the included 'CMD' file for the portable version has this content (relative paths are OK):

Code: Select all

@echo off
start "GMUniversalSync" "GMUniversalSync.exe" /DataDir="."

smaragdus

#3 Post by smaragdus »

A very nice program but it seems that it doesn't allow one-way synchronization (mirroring). Or perhaps I am missing something?

P.S.
I have overlooked that 'Read only' means one way synchronization.

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

Few notes on this program...

Key features
  • Supports unlimited profiles with more than one destination, multi-threaded, scheduling, connect to FTP and secure FTP, WebDAV.
Project activity level
  • I'm a bit of an Excel nerd so I did *WAY* too much analysis on this and here's what I came up with building on data drawn from here.:

Each one of those diamonds is a release so for example in July of 2013 there were several releases creating a quick incline and then the bar gets flat as there are no releases between Nov 2013 and Apr 2014. Excluding the fact that the last update was 9 months ago, I'd describe this as a very active project with an average of 2 releases per month between launch and last update.

Can share the spreadsheet if anyone cares.
License
  • It's an open license built with a variant of the GPL. The summary at the top (I have not verified that the text of the license actually supports this) claims that it's so you can distribute commercial binaries without sharing the source code. Wonder why they dev(s) didn't just use BSD.

http://www.gm-software.de/gmlicense.htm