EditPad Lite is not stealth

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Joe

EditPad Lite is not stealth

#1 Post by Joe »

This software is not stealth as listed here on the main site: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=521

I followed all the instructions and "installed" this software on a flashdrive. I then moved it from the flashdrive to my C drive. Upon checking, EditPad Lite creates a folder in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming named JGsoft. Within that is a subfolder named EditPad Lite 7 with the following files:

- Dock.ini
- EditPadLite7.ini

Please amend the listing on the main site to reflect correctly.

joby_toss

Re: EditPad Lite is not stealth

#2 Post by joby_toss »

I tested version 7.3.4.5342 x64 on win7x64sp1 using the instructions from the main entry and the application is portable and stealth for me.

Make sure you have full write access for the folder on the C drive where you moved the app (try moving the app on a non-system drive).

Joe

#3 Post by Joe »

@joby_toss

Thanks for the reply.

I do have full write access and the same thing happens if I move the app to another non-system partition. Sorry, I don't have another hard drive on my system. I'm on Windows 8.1 x64.

Here's a screenshot of the offending folder.

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss »

Maybe it has some issue with win8.1 (I don't own such a system, so I can't test).

Is someone else having the same problem on win8.1?

Joe

#5 Post by Joe »

Thanks for trying to help joby-toss. I have gotten rid of this software now but I hope my reporting this will be helpful to someone some day.

[Edit]
I forgot to mention that it creates the following registry key too: HKCU\Software\JGsoft

SYSTEM

#6 Post by SYSTEM »

I have Windows 8.1, and I tested EditPad Lite using the instructions in the entry. I installed EditPad Lite to my external hard drive, allowed the installer to launch it and didn't move it afterwards.

I can't reproduce the directory in %APPDATA%, but I got the registry key. I edited the entry accordingly.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Joe

#7 Post by Joe »

SYSTEM wrote:...and didn't move it afterwards.
Thanks for your input SYSTEM.

Could you move it to your C: drive and open something with it? After that, check in %AppData% to see if a folder named JGsoft is created. Note, you must at least open a file with EditPad otherwise the offending folder won't be created.

SYSTEM

#8 Post by SYSTEM »

Joe wrote:
SYSTEM wrote:...and didn't move it afterwards.
Thanks for your input SYSTEM.

Could you move it to your C: drive and open something with it? After that, check in %AppData% to see if a folder named JGsoft is created. Note, you must at least open a file with EditPad otherwise the offending folder won't be created.
OK, I tried it. I still didn't get the JGsoft directory.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Joe

#9 Post by Joe »

SYSTEM wrote:OK, I tried it. I still didn't get the JGsoft directory.
Well that's passing strange. I get the JGsoft directory every time. If I delete it it gets recreated as soon as I launch EditPad. Anyways, I'm not wasting any more time on this one.

[Edit]
BTW, you'll find other registry entries if you do a search in regedit. Some were created by Windows of course.