17 obscure Windows tools and tricks too powerful to overlook

Share interesting information or links related to portable apps here.
tls

17 obscure Windows tools and tricks too powerful to overlook

#1 Post by tls »

just thought i'd share this article
http://www.citeworld.com/article/236966 ... um=twitter

Midas

Re: 17 obscure Windows tools and tricks too powerful to over

#2 Post by Midas »

Thanks tls, it's an interesting read (although I loathe the slideshow format). 8)

But I reckon your post would be better placed in the "Resources and Links" forum, don't you think? Most of the programs mentioned are system components, so it doesn't make sense to consider them non-portable...

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

Very interesting stuff.
Midas wrote:...would be better placed in the "Resources and Links" forum, don't you think?
Yep. Moved.

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

Have no idea how I never heard of PSR before today ... I've been planning on testing out StepShot for forever and now it turns out there's a free, always-there equivalent.

Sigh.

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

webfork wrote:Have no idea how I never heard of PSR before today
Over the past few weeks, I've been trying to make a go of PSR as a documentation tool but have run into a few problems:
  • It saves everything to a ZIP file and inside that is a .MHT which requires Internet Explorer or Word.  I've tried a few .MHT viewer tools with mixed success.  If you have IE or Word, you can obviously save it to a standard HTML folder, which works adequately but this is over-tedious.
  • It records everything in a very lossy JPG format, which is fine for tech support or analyzing a bug, but terrible for writing up any kind of documentation.  It just looks ugly.
  • The steps are extremely detailed and the files aren't particularly easy to edit.  Word is really bad about complex formatting so I need to be able to break these up.
Anyway, the search continues.  The best howto tool I've come across so far remains (strangely) Microsoft Word just because it handles images so much better than LibreOffice. I'm going to have to buy StepShot at some point.